• Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Need Purchasing Advice - Roof dilemma

Patrick Bavaro
Pro Member
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Sep 21 2021, 11:57

Good afternoon BP! 

I am in a bit of a time crunch on this to make a decision, but here is my story. My wife and I currently have 1 rental, 1 property that will end up being a rental under construction, and another rental property we are under contract on. The property we are under contract on is located in Ocala, Fl (Marion County). The home is a 4/2 and relatively modern with a kitchen island, new floors, etc.. The home would actually make a very nice rental property. However, my problem (or maybe its not and I'm making it one), is that the roof was allegedly replaced in 2018 by the previous owner of the property (not the current), and was not permitted. My insurance company told me that the only problems I will have is an increase in insurance premium, but I am worried about taking their word on that being the only problem as there is no physical verification that the roof was completed in 2018. The difference in premium is only about $250/yr so I am not that worried about the discount. 

What do I need to consider with the unpermitted roof? What issues regarding claims if I ever need to make one? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated It. 

Loading replies...