Passive Income Options

20 Replies

We are looking to diversify part of our portfolio and we are looking into some passive investing options in commercial real estate. There will be a 1031 exchange involved. What types of passive investing do you favor and why?

Can you share with me your recommendations, experiences, and the company(ies) that you have worked with that have shown results and work from a place of integrity?

We are hoping to stay clear of apartment syndication, but if you have had an incredible experience working with one, I would be open to hearing about it.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your time.

Happy Investing!

Tina

@Tina Thornton , it is very difficult to 1031 into a syndication, things have to be a perfect storm. NNN properties are the typical 1031 path for people looking for passive income. Or you can try to find a DST.

@Andrew Rosenberg , not sure who hurt you, but I know plenty of syndicators with integrity, and who have lined my pockets with good profits.

I passively invest in Brandon Turners Open Door Capital fund and have been very happy with the communication, transparency and returns. I feel like I know what I am getting involved with because I have seen the team grow over the past 8 years that I have been listening to the podcast and can follow their progress on IG. Feel free to reach out if you want to know more. Must be an accredited investor. 

Originally posted by @Tina Thornton :

We are looking to diversify part of our portfolio and we are looking into some passive investing options in commercial real estate. There will be a 1031 exchange involved. What types of passive investing do you favor and why?

Can you share with me your recommendations, experiences, and the company(ies) that you have worked with that have shown results and work from a place of integrity?

We are hoping to stay clear of apartment syndication, but if you have had an incredible experience working with one, I would be open to hearing about it.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your time.

Happy Investing!

Tina

I think there are some good options but not sure if any real estate investments are truly passive other than REITS or kind of a DST. I can't recommend either one as you don't get nearly the benefits (taxes, control, expenses)

A good option is a syndication with a reputable experienced group with a great track record or...out of state investing in a cash flowing market. Multifamily that is well maintained or a NNN investment property are all low headache and do well for investors. Hope that helps and happy to talk further about your 1031 exchange.

Originally posted by @Andrew Rosenberg :

@Scott Wolf Integrity was the criteria of the OP, only meant to wish her good luck. I regret that my reply gave the wrong/negative impression about syndications - like anything else just requires vetting. My apologies to any syndicators.

Fair enough, I missed that, despite it being in bold.  

@Scott Wolf All good and actually thank you. I can see how what I wrote could be read counter to my intention - gotta proof read better. Glad we cleared this up and I didn't give more people the wrong impression. Apologies to the OP/Tina, not trying to hijack your post. I'd suggest reaching out locally the REIAs in your area and asking for referrals - you'd still have to vet, but it's a good starting point. @Lane Kawaoka invests in syndications and is many times more the expert than me - suggest reaching out to him. Hope this helps. Wishing you success in your pivot.

@Tina Thornton the 1031 component does add a wrinkle to the equation but not impossible to overcome. This would be an outright purchase on your end and more of an equity agreement with a proven operator to ensure the asset is performing and managed properly. I would be happy to discuss in further detail if you like. I am specifically talking about mobile home parks in my proposed scenario.