Votes
Daniel Bryant
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
insurance broker requests new policy # prior to termination

Daniel Bryant
  • Queens, NY
Posted May 18 2022, 17:24

Good evening, I own a commercial property in NYC and recently sent a cancelation request to my insurance broker since I found a more affordable agent/plan.

He replied by asking me to sign a termination notice (understandable) but also requested that I furnish him with my new insurance name and policy number. Is that something I’m supposed to give him by law? Or can I chose to not give him that info?

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied May 19 2022, 06:58

@Daniel Bryant this is standard practice in the industry.  If the old insurance carrier does not have proof of the replacement policy, they are obligated by law to continue to cover the property for the next 30-60 days.    This obligation allows them to continue to charge you premium for this timeframe.  

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied May 19 2022, 07:57
Quote from @Jason Bott:

@Daniel Bryant this is standard practice in the industry.  If the old insurance carrier does not have proof of the replacement policy, they are obligated by law to continue to cover the property for the next 30-60 days.    This obligation allows them to continue to charge you premium for this timeframe.  

I had no idea about this, learn something new everyday! 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Bryant
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Queens, NY
Replied May 19 2022, 10:03
Quote from @Jason Bott:

Shocking, is there any legal citation for this online I can look up? 
there are many things that caused me grave concern about insurance broker practices, so at this point I’d believe just about anything.

I’ve reached out to several brokers to get a quote and some of the agents told me they were blocked from getting access to the insurance companies by other agents. Never experienced anything like that before and we’ve had insurance for over 30 years. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied May 19 2022, 10:29

@Daniel Bryant I wouldn't look online but in your policy.  It will give all of the terms of cancellations and midterm changes.

In regards to getting blocked, that happens when multiple agents approach the same insurance carrier on your behalf.  If you call 3 agents and they all approach Travelers, only the agent who is  "First In" will get a quote from Travelers.  The 2nd and 3rd agent will be "Blocked".  Hope that clears it up.