• Florida
Votes |
GSA Lease - Social Security Administration

Jenna W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Florida
Posted May 23 2022, 10:28

Good Afternoon,

I am in the North East and I am trying to find a document from the GSA that outlines that a building must be office, warehouse non residential for a social security office - of if it just needs to be a majority office space. My boss is considering a large investment in residential units at this office building - and I am trying to do the DD on if it's even possible with a SSA lease through 2030 on site. Any feedback would be helpful - thanks fellow bigger pockets friends!

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied May 24 2022, 05:02

@Jenna W., typically, unless it is explicitly outlined in the lease itself, and the conversion will not effect the SSA's ability of quiet enjoyment to their space, then you are likely fine.

But, really an attorney needs to review the leases.  While it has been quite a long time, I used to work for a retail operator, and they had various GSA backed offices in their shopping centers.  I don't recall if there were any SSA, but I know there were fish and wildlife, and about a dozen other spaces, at least, that were government offices through GSA. I bring this up, because GSA will clearly sign office space leases in various property types.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 24 2022, 12:32

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for. Is this the only tenant play?

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.