Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Alan Marentes
Votes |
new at investing need advice

Alan Marentes
Posted May 27 2022, 11:57

if i find a multi-family property like apartments and find someone willing to seller finance a good amount of it like 80% or so and find a private lender and put down the remaining 20% and the property itself generates a good cash flow is it a good idea? 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 27 2022, 12:55

Won't happen. If you mean a conventional lender for the 20%, they don't want to be the second mortgage and they certainly don't want a property to have 100% leveraged. That means the borrower (REI) has nothing in it, and nothing to lose. You become a huge risk to them. Not going to happen.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied May 27 2022, 13:13
Quote from @Alan Marentes:

if i find a multi-family property like apartments and find someone willing to seller finance a good amount of it like 80% or so and find a private lender and put down the remaining 20% and the property itself generates a good cash flow is it a good idea? 

You would be better off putting a hard money lender in 2nd position on top of the conventional lender but that is still difficult as you have no stake. That is where private money comes into play!

Find a deal, and the money will come.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 31 2022, 07:10

Sure, in theory, but in this market I don't think the numbers will cash flow with that kind of debt load.