Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Barlow
Votes |
When to partner - or not

Glenn Barlow
Posted Jul 20 2022, 17:42

Looking to get some input from the BP community on 'investment partners'. Right now, I am scaling pretty well, (started with 2 units in January and growing to what will be 63 units by October), but the idea of a partner keeps coming up on BP podcasts and also other YouTube channels. 

i definitely want to scale as fast as I can, but is it best for me to just keep going as I am, or to start to take on partners/investors who can help grow faster - but with the caveat of having to give something up (control/profits) at the same time. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks BP fam

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2022, 17:56

@Glenn Barlow if you’ve got line of site to 30x growth on your own, I’d consider building a support team rather than a partner. You’ve either gotten really lucky (unlikely) or you’re driven and have a good plan (more likely). I’d only partner if you can find someone who adds whatever you’re lacking or just can’t stand doing. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Jul 20 2022, 23:38

There are only 3 reasons to form  partnership.  If the potential partner doesn't fit into one of the 3 reasons, don't partner with that person.  The 3 reasons are:

1 - The Partner must do something you can't do.

2 - The Partner must do something you don't want to do.

3 - The Partner must do something you shouldn't do.  Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 21 2022, 08:04

I've brought partners onto some of my projects when I've been in a position where the project was bigger than I could financially take on myself. As they say, 50% of a deal is usually better than 0% of no deal.

If you can keep scaling on your own and you're confident in your ability to find deals, fund deals, rehab when needed, fill vacancies, and manage, then no need for partners.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 21 2022, 09:31

Just going to add one thing to what @Joe Villeneuve wrote:

4 - A Partner must provide something you don't have, have access to or have the resourecs to access. (money, money connections, government connections, etc.)

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 21 2022, 10:35

If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together.

Certainly there are individuals who make billions in real estate as a lone wolf, but they typically never even question the need to bring a partner. They can and will do it all themselves via support network (paid vendors, project carry, etc.)

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Jul 21 2022, 10:36
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

Just going to add one thing to what @Joe Villeneuve wrote:

4 - A Partner must provide something you don't have, have access to or have the resourecs to access. (money, money connections, government connections, etc.)

I would say that is the same thing as #1

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 21 2022, 14:56

@Joe Villeneuve we may be splitting hairs here, but I took your #1 to mean something like Accounting or Architecture, etc.:)

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Jul 22 2022, 01:00
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Joe Villeneuve we may be splitting hairs here, but I took your #1 to mean something like Accounting or Architecture, etc.:)

...and you'd be correct.  However, my #1 also includes things like "not being able to fund".  If you don't have access to money, etc..., then self funding qualifies as something you can't do.  It may be splitting hairs, but just I look at it as an example of something "you can't do"...which is why I feel it is part of #1.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Jul 24 2022, 12:43

@Glenn Barlow

All of the above.

I would get a spreadsheet out and decide financially when you can't keep growing.  You should be able to see it coming at you.

a.  Bank- federal lending limits.

b.  Personal- wealth

c.  SBA- $5mm cap

d.  Number of deals cap

Use your 63 potential units as your baseline.  Take the above and see how much larger you can grow on your own.

When you hit your cap, you have two options:  1.  Sit tight and let your equity grow, which is slow.; 2.  Re-appraise and see if you can get more collateralization based on your existing value add and rent rates.; 3.  Sale a property and use the gain to do more properties, losing effort on short-term gains 37% tax.

Prior to maxing out, because you can see it coming; set up a syndication strategy.  This will be easier to control the work, deals, profit allocation, getting rid of investors versus a partner.

If you do get a partner the key is how do you both exit.  We just bought a property because one of the partners became financially stressed due to another business deal outside their partnership.

User Stats

Votes
Brock Mogensen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jul 24 2022, 18:27

That is a tough question to answer, it really depends on what your long term goal is.  It will definitely be easier to scale quicker with partners, but it also adds some more complexity.  If you prefer to grow at a more steady pace and have complete control, continue with what you are doing.  If you do decide to go the partnership route, syndication can be a good strategy to pursue.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Steed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 25 2022, 10:23

If you are growing that quickly I'd keep your head down and keep doing what you're doing. 

I've got some partnerships in Columbus Oh. One is where I found the deal but my partner has great connections and is a strong borrower so I brought him in. Then the other I found the deal but have much more experience with construction so he funded more capital. 

Ideally, I'd rather to raise debt then share equity but I think partnerships can make sense.

• Real Estate Agent OH (#2016002609) and OH (#2016002609)

Lim Realty Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 25 2022, 20:30

I only partner if it's to spread leverage but they must offer a skillset or some sort of value proposition when adding them to the deal. Perhaps if you decide to go into a different market or business model, a more experienced partner would be a good option to scale in that area. If you are scaling quickly, I would keep my focus on what's working and see if someone comes along with a perspective you would like to do business with. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 26 2022, 09:11
Quote from @Glenn Barlow:

Looking to get some input from the BP community on 'investment partners'. Right now, I am scaling pretty well, (started with 2 units in January and growing to what will be 63 units by October), but the idea of a partner keeps coming up on BP podcasts and also other YouTube channels. 

i definitely want to scale as fast as I can, but is it best for me to just keep going as I am, or to start to take on partners/investors who can help grow faster - but with the caveat of having to give something up (control/profits) at the same time. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks BP fam

I have enjoyed partnerships. I find it is a great way to bring someone in and keep growing. Do you know what you can offer a partner? Do you know what you need in a partner?

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Aug 22 2022, 08:05
Quote from @Ricardo Hidalgo:

I only partner if it's to spread leverage but they must offer a skillset or some sort of value proposition when adding them to the deal. Perhaps if you decide to go into a different market or business model, a more experienced partner would be a good option to scale in that area. If you are scaling quickly, I would keep my focus on what's working and see if someone comes along with a perspective you would like to do business with. 

Thats a good point too. If someone is partnering with a similar skillset, presumably I could just scale by hiring it out (since I know the job). When I partner with someone on acquisitions/leasing, I don't know what I dont know!

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Johnson
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Aug 27 2022, 20:01
Quote from @Scott E.:

I've brought partners onto some of my projects when I've been in a position where the project was bigger than I could financially take on myself. As they say, 50% of a deal is usually better than 0% of no deal.

If you can keep scaling on your own and you're confident in your ability to find deals, fund deals, rehab when needed, fill vacancies, and manage, then no need for partners.

50% is better than 0%.  Great advice!

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Aug 28 2022, 14:15

Human Capital is the best form of leverage I know of.  It takes a team to build an empire.  Just make sure whatever partner you bring on you have an operating agreement that defines the roles, equity, and exit strategy.  Partners are not forever, but just having one can change the direction of your life even if it's only for a short time.