Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Matt Fabian
Votes |
Apartment Complex Opportunity

Matt Fabian
Posted Aug 3 2022, 13:16

My investment account is currently worth $380k.  Would you cash it in in order to make a 25% down payment on a 16 unit apartment complex?  I would have to pay about 35k in capital gains.  

Here are the numbers:  

$1.4 million purchase price

25% down, $350k

$10k in closing costs

$1,050,000 loan amount @ 5.25% interest 15 years

$8,441 monthly mortgage payment - $101,292 yearly

$7500 yearly insurance

$20,000 yearly property tax

$10,000 maintenance?

Total yearly cost - $138,742

Average rent currently $850 per unit, 

Year revenue = $163,200

163,200 - 138,742 = $24,458 profit.  Feels like not a great number.  

Each unit is 2 bed, 1.5 bath,  4 buildings, 4 units per building.  Built in the 1990s.  Roof is 8 years old.  No issue keeping it occupied.  Minor improvements needed. I believe rent could be raised $50-$100.  That seems to be were the opportunity lies, in increased rent.  $50 increase in rent = 10k a year for all units.

Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Aug 3 2022, 13:28
Quote from @Matt Fabian:

My investment account is currently worth $380k.  Would you cash it in in order to make a 25% down payment on a 16 unit apartment complex?  I would have to pay about 35k in capital gains.  

Here are the numbers:  

$1.4 million purchase price

25% down, $350k

$10k in closing costs

$1,050,000 loan amount @ 5.25% interest 15 years

$8,441 monthly mortgage payment - $101,292 yearly

$7500 yearly insurance

$20,000 yearly property tax

$10,000 maintenance?

Total yearly cost - $138,742

Average rent currently $850 per unit, 

Year revenue = $163,200

163,200 - 138,742 = $24,458 profit.  Feels like not a great number.  

Each unit is 2 bed, 1.5 bath,  4 buildings, 4 units per building.  Built in the 1990s.  Roof is 8 years old.  No issue keeping it occupied.  Minor improvements needed. I believe rent could be raised $50-$100.  That seems to be were the opportunity lies, in increased rent.  $50 increase in rent = 10k a year for all units.

Thoughts?

When you say 15 years, is the loan amortized in 15 years? or is it a 15 year with a balloon? 

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matt Fabian
Votes |
Replied Aug 3 2022, 13:51

No balloon.  amortized.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Aug 3 2022, 16:20

The initial return on equity is 6.9%.  (profit/downpayment).  The positive is the rental increase of $100 which will almost double that return number.  Is there other ways you can increase the revenue such as adding coin laundry, storage rental, vending, gym access etc?  Are you going to self manage it or have an additional expense of a property manager?  It's not a bad deal when you see a lot of these things trading at a 3-4 cap and your at at 6.9.  Since the housing market is slowing it will only further the demand for rentals.

It's not always about the cap rate.  Just think in 15 years you will have at a minimum a property that is paid in full and worth at least 1.4 million dollars.  Most people take their entire lives to earn that kind of money and your doing it in 15 years.  Obviously with the rental increases along the way your property will be worth even more.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:00

What is your investment rental experience? I think its a great start if you know this is what you want to do. Can you find a 20-40% financial partner? That would be better for a lot of risk areas and you can keep some of your chips in the market.

If I was buying multi family, these are the deals I'd buy. Instead I just have industrial property...

Be sure to do LLC, PSA review, title/survey objections, review those leases carefully! Loan documents are also critical when personal guaranty is involved.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:13

Eh, if those are actually the numbers, it would take about 15 years to recoup your 380k - Not accounting for rent increases. If you are actually able to increase the rent then it could be an okay opportunity, it would still take a while to recoup your investment. Are the apartments rented out at market rates? Typically a better return would be to find an apartment owner who is below market rents and raise them to market rents.  I know that is rare but they are out there.  

User Stats

Votes
Matt Fabian
Votes |
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:43
Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

What is your investment rental experience? I think its a great start if you know this is what you want to do. Can you find a 20-40% financial partner? That would be better for a lot of risk areas and you can keep some of your chips in the market.

If I was buying multi family, these are the deals I'd buy. Instead I just have industrial property...

Be sure to do LLC, PSA review, title/survey objections, review those leases carefully! Loan documents are also critical when personal guaranty is involved.

I have one duplex I bought a year ago.  Its a pretty nice duplex. 2,000 sq ft per side, 3 bed, 2 bath.  bought right before housing market went crazy. Just has a tenant move out, fixing up that side.  I am hoping to get 2k per month, 1,800 minimum.  The other side pays mortgage, taxes and insurance.  So if I get 2k a month, that would be 24k a year profit on the duplex.  So that makes me question my numbers on the apartment

I would manage the apartment complex myself, so no management costs.  There is no space for other services like laundry or gym.  

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 04:55

The numbers look sound to me based on the data you provided.  Your bank will be your second set of eyes on the numbers.  Not every deal has to be a home run and deals are harder to come by every day.  Remember that there is a big expectation difference between a developer/flipper than an investor with minor improvements.  Sounds like you are the latter.  The question you have to ask yourself after going through the paralysis by analysis stage is this:

Do you feel secure in the asset?....if so take on the debt.   

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Nilsen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Gatos, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Gatos, CA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 05:36

@Matt Fabian  Those numbers sound decent to me. Not a home run but not every deal will be. At a basic level in 30yrs you are going to look like a genius and everyone will be saying I wish I would have bought when you did. What could you resell the building for immediately is a great way to analyze it as well? The market is taking a dip and if you can sell it for a profit immediately you did well. 

Another way to look at this is the opportunity that you will have in a few years to trade up and keep that money growing. Keeping it in stocks you could get lucky and get one that explodes and then we will all be saying wish we would have bought that one. That happens much less than people saying wish I would have bought real estate 10, 20, 30 yrs ago. Real estate you’ll get the appreciation, your $24k cash flow, but also you’ll have about $25k, however the terms are structured, or so in principal pay down per year.

I’d be happy with the money sitting in the stock market but super stoked to have that money in real estate. 

Always up to chat about it over the phone. PM me if you want. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 5 2022, 05:41

Mmmm, 24k profit per ANNUM on 16 unit?

No, thanks. I would probably negotiate the financing and looking into a longer term in order to free up some more cash flow. Someone mentioned that they have a duplex and they making as close to your profit numbers.