Votes
Victor Olvera
Pro Member
Votes |
underwriting spreadsheet, multifamily

Victor Olvera
Pro Member
Posted Aug 21 2022, 15:43

hello everyone, im watching this BP video. and she is using a spreadsheet, is there a way I could find one as well to help with underwriting multifamily? you can see it at the 15:00 mark in the video

;list=PLnjiwgKWoHEoUCiikeQdDXbx4upHdWTlw&index=11

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • SE Michigan
Replied Aug 21 2022, 16:16

I've seen a half dozen different spreadsheets like this but the key is knowing how they are set up because they will behave slightly differently based on the formulas and assumptions baked into the sheet. 

She said about 5 times, the best way is to join a mentorship program. I agree. A mentorship program can provide you a spreadsheet and show you how to use their version.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 21 2022, 17:52

Just use DealCheck.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Aug 21 2022, 17:58

Why not just make your own so you really understand what you are doing and seeing what effects what?

User Stats

Votes
Castenzio Venegas
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NYC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NYC
Replied Aug 22 2022, 07:44
Quote from @Greg Scott:

I've seen a half dozen different spreadsheets like this but the key is knowing how they are set up because they will behave slightly differently based on the formulas and assumptions baked into the sheet. 

She said about 5 times, the best way is to join a mentorship program. I agree. A mentorship program can provide you a spreadsheet and show you how to use their version.

Hey Victor! I agree with Greg—there are many different variations that exist with slightly differing formulas, modeling, and assumptions. They also heavily depend on the type of MF investing/underwriting. Are you referring to residential MF or commercial MF? If it’s residential, you could use the BP tools or as Jeff referenced, DealCheck (free); however if you’re inquiring about the commercial space then the level of underwriting should be something geared towards that. My suggestions: 

1) Join a mentorship program 

2) Search on Udemy for a course on CRE MF underwriting — they can work with you on building out a spreadsheet and is very cost effective (and you can learn the foundational pieces of the modeling).

3) I like Hayden Crabtree’s underwriting program—and, it’s very reasonably priced! 

Send me a message if you want to discuss more. 

Enjoy! 

Account Closed
  • pennsylvania
Votes |
  • pennsylvania
Replied Aug 25 2022, 10:32

I suggest that you re-read @Jeremy H.

You may start by making your own APOD and DCF analysis

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Aug 26 2022, 04:51
Quote from @Account Closed:

I suggest that you re-read @Jeremy H.

You may start by making your own APOD and DCF analysis

This is simple - If it's something I need to understand myself I've at some point always made my own spreadsheet - doesn't matter what it is. If you truly understand what it is you're doing, you can make your own. 

If you can't make it, then you don't understand what you're doing...and you probably shouldn't be doing it. Again, very simple concept to understand.