• Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
Flex Warehouse in Hampton Roads Virginia

Dan V.
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Posted Sep 14 2022, 10:27

We put an offer on an 8,500 square feet warehouse with 1,800 office space(s). The property can be rented as a whole or can be subdivided into maybe 3 tenants (each has its own office and warehouse). I'm wondering if anybody here is familiar with the space and see how's the demand for it in the area or in the region. We own another flex space but it's 3x smaller and it's doing well. The property is located in the Hampton Roads area in Virginia. 

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 01:19

I manage a small industrial strip in Virginia Beach that sounds similar. Ours is divided up into three units and they stay rented.  One is used as a Church.  One is rented by a plumber who runs his business from there.  The other was rented by a guy who has a hobby of rehabbing cars and just wanted warehouse space.  Small spaces rent quicker than large spaces. I would recommend dividing it up.

User Stats

Votes
Abhi Acharya
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 04:38

@Dan V., congrats and good luck. Smaller flex units are easier to rent and gets you higher rents but may see higher turnover. Multi tenancy will force you to structure your leases as Full Service vs NNN, so they are more management intensive than a bigger space with one tenant.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 05:25

I agree with going smaller. It will be easier to rent the smaller spaces. At 8,000 + you would be looking at a special user which will be hard to come by. However you could go NNN by having 3 tenants pitch in for common area maintenance which can include parking, roof, landscaping etc.

User Stats

Votes
Dan V.
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 05:58
Quote from @Patti Robertson:

I manage a small industrial strip in Virginia Beach that sounds similar. Ours is divided up into three units and they stay rented.  One is used as a Church.  One is rented by a plumber who runs his business from there.  The other was rented by a guy who has a hobby of rehabbing cars and just wanted warehouse space.  Small spaces rent quicker than large spaces. I would recommend dividing it up.

Thank you for your input. What are the terms like (NNN, Gross, etc)? Also, what's the going rate now for spaces like that? I'm seeing around $6.00 for NNN and $1.25-$1.50 for operating expenses in that city. I may reach out to you once we have it under contract to help us find tenant(s).

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 06:01

I'll DM you.

User Stats

Votes
Dan V.
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Replied Sep 15 2022, 06:10

@Abhi Acharya and @John McKee Thank you for your insights! It seems like subdividing it into 3 smaller spaces will get us more rent and will benefit the tenants as well since they will be sharing the common expenses. At my stage, I don't mind managing 3 tenants, industrial/commercial spaces are easier to manage anyways. :) 

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 15 2022, 08:10
Quote from @Dan V.:

@Abhi Acharya and @John McKee Thank you for your insights! It seems like subdividing it into 3 smaller spaces will get us more rent and will benefit the tenants as well since they will be sharing the common expenses. At my stage, I don't mind managing 3 tenants, industrial/commercial spaces are easier to manage anyways. :) 

Correct, smaller less sophisticated tenants are more return, more work. As you grow you'll want to either delegate management or get fewer tenants.