Votes
Jason Schlafke
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Got a letter from office of the assessor due to a recent remodel

Jason Schlafke
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jan 3 2023, 09:32

I recently purchased a property in CA and pulled a permit for a small remodeling project, and remodeling was done already. I just received a letter from Office of the assessor's office to ask me to provide cost breakdown for this remodeling project. It didn't cost a lot, only about 30k. Will that significantly increase the appraisal value and thus increase the property tax? 

What if I ignore that letter from assessor's office?

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 3 2023, 10:26

If you don't respond, a whole lot of not so fun can come your way to include sending out a code enforcement officer/building inspector to view the project -who will determine the value for you.  Soooo do respond...the $30k remodel could increase the value of your property more than that value (or even less that the investment); here's a blog from a Sacramento Appraisal Service on this topic:  https://sacramentoappraisalblo...

And, yes, your taxes will go up but it won't be significant if you respond; you might offer that the remodel wasn't an option as what was there was obsolete/inoperable/whatever.  Tell your story - or someone else will tell a whopper of a tale on your behalf.

Hope this helps.