• Investor
  • Thomasville, NC
Votes |
Looking for Input on My First Commercial Property Purchase

Adrienne Herrenbruck
  • Investor
  • Thomasville, NC
Posted Jan 24 2023, 19:10

I'm looking to buy my first commercial property.  It's two small lots, one with a building currently renting and one with a currently rented parking lot.  I'm having a hard time getting answers from lenders on what type of loan we may use for the property.  It seems like muddy waters.  Do I have to have a commercial loan?  Since it's only one unit per lot can I get a conventional loan? 

I'm well qualified financially for the purchase but am having a hard time getting started with my funding options.  Any help is appreciated by this newbie!

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:38

@Adrienne Herrenbruck look up top and you will see 'Network' select that and the second from the top is 'Mortgage Lenders'. See if you can get some clarity from folks there. You can also search the site for lenders (members). I think some of those folk could do some legwork-it would be in their best interest.

User Stats

Votes
Lawrence Potts
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:54

Commercial lending is pretty tight right now, it’s hard to find loans for some assets. Would they consider carrying the note or sub2? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adrienne Herrenbruck
  • Investor
  • Thomasville, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Thomasville, NC
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:18
Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

@Adrienne Herrenbruck look up top and you will see 'Network' select that and the second from the top is 'Mortgage Lenders'. See if you can get some clarity from folks there. You can also search the site for lenders (members). I think some of those folk could do some legwork-it would be in their best interest.

Thanks for the tip!

User Stats

Votes
Adrienne Herrenbruck
  • Investor
  • Thomasville, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Thomasville, NC
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:37
Quote from @Lawrence Potts:

Commercial lending is pretty tight right now, it’s hard to find loans for some assets. Would they consider carrying the note or sub2? 

Unfortunately, no. We were hoping to go this route initially.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Kucheck
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:42

Are you planning on substantively improving the property or changing its use/zoning in some way to improve the economics?  If so, it may make sense to work with a private or bridge lender for your acquisition and project, and then refinance into a conventional loan once the property is performing at a higher level.  How much equity (as a % of the purchase price) are you bringing to the project and what is the overall scope of the project (debt + equity + renovation)?

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 14:30

Commercial, does it cash flow at 7% debt?

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jan 27 2023, 16:36

What’s the dollar figure?  If it’s below $1mm recommend you talk with a local credit union.  

Assume the two properties are different PID’s.   Are your plans for both different in terms of flipping?  Would recommend you get separate loans.  Bad if big dollars. Shouldn’t matter if small dollars other than appraisal cost.  

What do your numbers say?  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 5 2023, 18:53

I am under the impression that this property has sufficient cash flow to support the proposed debt (permanent financing), however, either the property type or the loan amount might be too small for these lenders to jump on it.  

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Feb 5 2023, 19:26

How much are we talking about?  Do you have cash, cd’s or bonds?  Ask the loan officer if you can either deposit or have them control the account.   They can use this to help support the loan.  You should also get about 1% point less on their interest rate.  

You need to supply more info for a better answer.  See questions above.  

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 6 2023, 08:51
Quote from @Henry Clark:

How much are we talking about?  Do you have cash, cd’s or bonds?  Ask the loan officer if you can either deposit or have them control the account.   They can use this to help support the loan.  You should also get about 1% point less on their interest rate.  

You need to supply more info for a better answer.  See questions above.  

we do this on some of our loans, put an amount equal to the loan on deposit with our lender, drops our fixed rate 5 year debt to just a point above fed. then we pull the cash for other stuff.