Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Tyra General
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Maryland
Votes |
The Best Commercial Real Estate Investing Course???

Tyra General
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Maryland
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:46

Hi All,

Does anyone have suggestions as to the best Commercial Real Estate Investing Course(s)? I would really like personal testimonies before I go out and purchase one.

Thanks and God Bless,

Tyra

User Stats

Votes
Dale C.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukie, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukie, OR
Replied Mar 25 2013, 14:30

Thanks Steve, I hadn't heard about the legal issues. All I know is that I bought her course a couple of years ago and it is actually quite good content.

Regards.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Schmidt
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 12 2013, 11:54

CCIM provides an excellent education in real estate finance. I would highly recommend it.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Sakurets
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Dec 15 2014, 20:01

Scott Scheel has a good course about commercial real estate, but he concentrates more on apartment investing in his course while he is actively buying retail buildings and not apartments.

The loan default rate on apartments is 58%, so before you buy an apartment building think why is it so high.

Another avenue to consider is mini storages if you want to own real estate, the default rate is only 16%. All most famous ''gurus'' that I know own ministorages and very few own sf, because they understand where they make more $ and spend less time.

I attended a boot camp 3 years ago about mini storages in Indianapolis, it was a very good course. If you do a search on line ''mini storage investing'' you will find it.

I decided not to invest in apartments or ministorages, too much work and headache. I'm going after industrial buildings now because they have lowest vacancy rate and highest ROI at least in MN.

Happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Meyers
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Replied Dec 16 2014, 10:28

I echo those sentiments as well Pavel, and thanks for the kudos.  Our next Self Storage Academy is in Orlando Florida the 15-17th www.SelfStorageAcademy.com and then back in Indy in April.   Scott Scheel and Ray Alcorn are also very solid - I speak at their events regularly.  

Happy Investing. 

User Stats

Votes
Karma Senge
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Dec 17 2014, 13:27

There are two people I recommend to learn commercial real estate from.

1. Craig Haskell from Value Hound Academy

And

2. Ray Alcorn's course is also really good.

User Stats

Votes
Lee G.
  • Developer
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Boise, ID
Replied Dec 24 2014, 14:01

I bought Ray Alcorn's course on ebay and found it to be not worth the money... 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Dec 24 2014, 14:26

I'd recommend Harvard Business School, but Northwestern at Chicago is pretty good too! I'd bet any local University has classes applicable to commercial RE investing and management, audit the course instead of attending for a grade, much cheaper.  :)

Lee, I'm guessing you've had a business education and experience, just a guess.

I've never felt the need to study guru stuff, not passing judgment on the commercial side, but the CCIM would probably do it for anyone, get with someone who has taken it, I bet you could borrow materials.

Pavel, you dug up a two+ year old post to set the stage for a plug in the forums? Really! LOL :>)>>>> Ho, Ho, Ho!

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Hancock#4 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Dec 24 2014, 15:12

Ray Alcorn's book is awesome IMO.  I am not sure why folks are saying it is not worth the money.

If there are others that are better I'd love to hear about them.  Joel Block's Dealmaker's Symposium is in Austin in 2015 and is the best course on raising money I have found.

I'm going to sit through the CCIM courses next year too since they've received good reviews.  I have met with some of the CCIM folks locally and they all seem like quality folks.  It is a bit broker-centric for my taste, but I am sure I'll learn something attending the courses.  

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Sakurets
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Dec 24 2014, 16:26
Originally posted by @Scott Meyers:

I echo those sentiments as well Pavel, and thanks for the kudos.  Our next Self Storage Academy is in Orlando Florida the 15-17th www.SelfStorageAcademy.com and then back in Indy in April.   Scott Scheel and Ray Alcorn are also very solid - I speak at their events regularly.  

Happy Investing. 

Scott, it's very nice to hear from you. Are you still convinced that ministorages are the best? My friend Alex owns several million sq ft of industrial space in MN and he says industrial is the best, the demand was very high for last 10 years, vacancy rate is 3% and he charges on average 2k for 3000 sq ft unit of industrial space, that's why I decided not to do ministorages; more tenants-more problems to solve. What do you think?

But, I still think that your course is very much worth to look at as a better alternative to apartments.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Hicks
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Replied Jan 11 2015, 16:15

Can you typically write off the cost of a course like Ray's Dealmaker's Guide?

It's been on my list for years!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Caldwell
  • Investor
  • Dallas TX, United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas TX, United States
Replied Jan 12 2015, 10:26

I have a big library of courses currently it takes up 3 rooms of my office.  My library is literally hundreds of real estate investing courses.   For commercial courses, I would recommend in this order

1 Scott Scheil

2 Dave Lindahl

3 Ron LeGrand (not sure if you can even buy this one anymore)

Each of these courses cover locating, evaluating, and financing commercial property with creative options. 

to your success

Josh