• Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Steel building costs

Mike F.
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jan 12 2016, 20:35

Does anyone have some general cost break downs that they've actually dealt with in regard to metal buildings? 

I'm seeing something like

Metal building $7-10 sq ft
Slab $3-4 sq ft
Constructing /erecting $10 sq ft

Anything I'm leaving out?

Sound close? 

I'm looking into a 10,000 sq ft industrial warehouse build

User Stats

Votes
Ryan McGowan
  • Engineer
  • Victorville, CA
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Victorville, CA
Replied Jan 13 2016, 15:24

Contact Brian Foley at Kiwi Construction. They do a lot of work all over the country, but especially in Colorado for the storage sector.

Brian Foley
www.kiwiconstruction.com/CONTACT_US.cfm

Call the West Coast office. I have his cell if you send me a message. (Posts filter phone numbers and emails.)

User Stats

Votes
Dave Knowles
  • Investor
  • Moab, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Moab, UT
Replied Jan 13 2016, 16:34

That's pretty close to what I pay.  I've built a 3000 square foot, and a 5000 square foot.

Had to pay for a geotech engineer, a civil engineer, an architect and a drainage expert due to site problems.  And getting electricity to the building was a hassle, had to pay the power company to bring it in a hundred yards and had to pay a neighbor for an easement to put a power pole in their back yard.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dorothy Ma
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 13 2016, 20:19

Definitely depends on site location. When you say metal building, do you mean the prefab type or do you mean steel frame as opposed to stick frame?  what about foundation? I would recommend rsmeans online, you can do a free trial and its what the pros use for estimating figures.

User Stats

Votes
Mike F.
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 13 2016, 20:42

Talking steel building, no pole buildings.

Talked with a reputable manufacturer today in person, pricing was pretty solid in the $20-25 per sq foot range depending on some options. That's the building itself, slab and erection, no interior finishing of course. Additional for grading, electrical, plumbing etc...

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Jan 14 2016, 02:31
Originally posted by @Mike F.:

Talking steel building, no pole buildings.

Talked with a reputable manufacturer today in person, pricing was pretty solid in the $20-25 per sq foot range depending on some options. That's the building itself, slab and erection, no interior finishing of course. Additional for grading, electrical, plumbing etc...

The slab strength required for the ancillary equipment will dictate cost. In one of our commercial properties the entire floor is a 10inch slab with reinforcing poured back in 1970 when it was less expensive & it has never shown any cracking & we have heavy equipment & 4 post truck hoists on it. A slab we had poured last year (lower PSI) was over $8.75/sq ft & it was only 6" deep. For my pole barn 60x30 we laid 10inches of stone, let it settle for 18 months, then poured.