Ruhi Reimer
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Truck Parking/Semi-Trailer Parking

Ruhi Reimer
  • Reston, VA
Posted Feb 24 2017, 07:24

Hi BP! 

My first post.  I love this site.  What a fantastic community and source of knowledge!  

I am an investor/entrepreneur looking to do something in a commercial property niche I can't find many resources about: truck parking.  Over the years I have considered other "low capex" RE models such as trailer parks and self storage but never pulled the trigger.  A recent look at investments in the transportation industry suggests a possible opportunity in truck/trailer parking lots.  There are numerous published articles about the on-the-road parking shortage for truck drivers, and solution there is more truck stops whether state or privately funded.  That is not what I'm talking about.  My initial research suggests truck/semi-trailer parking is also an issue for carriers and small operators -- both at home and at the terminal point of a long haul delivery.    A flat gravel lot with fencing, lighting, security and an attendant/transaction processing capabilities located near an industrial zone/interstate/major state highway could offer daily, weekly, or monthly parking.  In markets where land costs are low and freight traffic is high one can arbitrage the high value of truck parking against the low cost of land and minimal maintenance capex of this model, yielding healthy cash flow.  I am hoping to prove this model out for myself, and upon doing so, get a property launched this year somewhere.  I know -- too generic a goal.  

I'd like to invite other BP members looking at this niche to cluster in this thread to network and share best practices.

I look forward to getting acquainted with the BP community.  Wishing all a prosperous 2017!

Loading replies...