Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Lou Ruggieri
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
What's My Strategy Approaching a Bank For My First Big Deal?

Lou Ruggieri
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Posted Mar 26 2017, 16:55

Here's the short version:

I'm a residential investor in New Jersey.  I've begun looking in Chicago for bigger deals and have been very lucky to have found a great broker and an even more amazing (future) property manager.  I have found an off-market deal that I think could work very well in the 500-550k range (final price TBD).  

Now, I have to do the real hard part -- approach the bank for money.  This is my first commercial deal, and quite honestly, I know I'm probably going to have to go to a few banks before I get what I need, but basically I just don't want to look too stupid on my first approach.  So my question to you is:  What is the best way to approach commercial lenders?  How much, and what kind of info should I have with me, and what kinds of questions should I be prepared to answer?  

I have the rent roll and expense sheets, as well as some market research I've done, and of course, money that will hopefully be enough for a downpayment. But I know this is not enough. I am going to be holding this building under an LLC, so I know not having a "resume" for this LLC may cause issues too. Should I expect to have to personally back this first deal?

Again, I just don't want to walk into this looking stupid so I'm hoping those of you with commercial experience will be willing to help me with the benefit of your experiences.  

Loading replies...