• Rental Property Investor
  • Nolanville, TX
Votes |
Considering RV and Boat Storage

Matt Brown
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Nolanville, TX
Posted Mar 19 2019, 04:16

Hey everyone, I'm looking at opening an RV/boat storage in my area (central Texas). I believe I found a great property at around 3.3 acres and zoned for this (confirmed with city).  The price is really good for the location too, however, as I move forward in my planning I have some questions and would love any advice in some areas.

Grading

The property I'm looking at has a slight grade to it. I could probably get away without grading it (it is slight), but I would like to provide the best spots possible.  Anyone with experience in this? Any type of surveying that I would have to do?  Is this too tall of an order, or am I on track for thinking this way?

Parking

I've done my rough estimates based on my own analysis of the property, but are there any rules of thumb to use?  Sure there's standard sized lots (i.e. 12x40), but what about driving areas between the rows? Eventually I will have to get with an engineer, but for estimating income, I think I should estimate total spots.

Security

For this, I'm thinking a standard chain link fence with a pin-style automatic sliding gate.  Since I don't anticipate having a front office, I'd like to be able to turn on and off pin numbers remotely. What is a good price-per-foot I should be using for fencing (materials and install) and how much do automatic gates cost? Is there a software you recommend to manage the pins and accept payments?  Seems like this could be a relatively hands-off aspect of the business if done right.

As for cameras, my first thought is something as simple as Simpli-Safe, but my gut tells me there's more commercial-centric solutions I should be looking at.  Should I be looking at monitored solutions?

Funding

I'm not too well versed in commercial lending as I generally stick to SFRs.  The easiest solution to funding this would be to get my in-laws as a partner.  They've expressed interest in a similar project, they're entrepreneurs, and they have money.  I don't like the idea of partnering with family, but if we did it would be drawn out by lawyer and we would cover our bases.  However, I'm most interested in a small business loan.  I've seen numerous options for veterans out there, anyone have any experience with any programs they'd recommend?  There's a sea of them out there!

Market Analysis

My analysis is done by the fact I've searched for RV storage for myself in the past and realized everyone here is booked up and has waiting lists.  Is there any other sources I could use other than just my own anecdotal experience?  I've called a few storage locations and confirmed they're full-up and how much their rates are, but is there any data online out there that could back this up?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as responses come in.  I'd love to hear what your thoughts are and take any tips and tricks you guys with the experience have to offer.

Loading replies...