Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Mike Looby
Votes |
Tenant-Occupied Commercial Storefront Condos - Sell Now?

Mike Looby
Posted Mar 22 2019, 05:47

I own 2 commercial storefront condos in Chicago and I'd like to sell one. Here's why. One of my tenants, who operates a classy tattoo parlor, has been with me nearly 10 years and is a STAR who has never given my problems. I only owe $32,000 on each unit, so if I sold the other one, (both are in the same development and are worth around $200,000 each when I checked with a commercial appraiser in May 2018) I could pay off the tattoo parlor mortgage and sell that unit to him via a small down payment and holding paper on it. After all, he has put over $60,000 into the unit himself and I need to look after this guy. The other unit is a Nail Salon. I'm just concerned that I'll upset THAT tenant if I offer just HIS unit for sale, as he has a couple of years left on his lease still (the tattoo parlor tenant just signed a new 5 year lease). I've been living overseas for 10 years now and would like to just cash out on one and get an income stream on the other, without being liable for the ever-increasing property taxes. Does this sound viable and do you think I'd have a problem selling, considering the property/tenant type and the fact that the lease hasn't expired yet? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :-)