Effective Ways of Finding Investment Opportunities in Your Market

3 Replies

About a year ago I completed a bachelors degree in construction management and have since been working as a consultant for commercial real estate development across the US.

I have saved a chunk of change that I would like to invest. But have a few questions regarding getting started. 

1. I am worried about market entry. Now seems like the worst possible time to invest in anything with the bull run we have had for the last        10+ years. Would you recommend investing my money ASAP or waiting out the decline that is anticipated for early next year?

2. I have a lot of experience that is valuable to any real estate development project. I would like to earn some sweat equity in whatever deal I find or create. How would I go about finding local investments or selling my abilities to local professionals?

Originally posted by @Shane Johnson :

About a year ago I completed a bachelors degree in construction management and have since been working as a consultant for commercial real estate development across the US. 

I have saved a chunk of change that I would like to invest. But have a few questions regarding getting started. 

1. I am worried about market entry. Now seems like the worst possible time to invest in anything with the bull run we have had for the last        10+ years. Would you recommend investing my money ASAP or waiting out the decline that is anticipated for early next year?

2. I have a lot of experience that is valuable to any real estate development project. I would like to earn some sweat equity in whatever            deal I find or create. How would I go about finding local investments or selling my abilities to local professionals?

There are deals in every market cycle but right now they are few and far between. You have a valuable skillset if you know the business from groundworks through the vertical as developement can make more sense in some markets right now for certain types of property.

I am familiar with most markets and have worked on a few dealerships and box stores in VA. I have also heard great things about the Atlanta area. If I were to look for deals now, do you recommend your market or any other markets than Denver, I should be looking into?

@Shane Johnson . I struggle with the "buying late in the market cycle" issue as well. The problem with this is that there are no guarantees we are going into a recession or that lots of deals will magically appear if you wait a few years. I side towards buying something now, getting the experience but have cash and experience to double or triple down big when the market does decide to drop