Parking in Drainage, Electrical easement

7 Replies

Hi -

1) is a 7000 sqft retail center possible in 20,952 sqft land (.48 acre)

2) what does it mean by "+/- 10,000 SF Buildable area with an agreement for extra parking area", is it a risk building retail center depending on parking space agreements

3) can we construct open parking in electrical, drainage easements and building setbacks ? (boxed with pink border below)

The buuldable area is based on the setbacks and easements. As far as parking, read what the easement says, though probably nothing. Who is the easement to? It's in the record book and page shown on your survey. Don't assume anything. Get a preliminary development plan together and go to local zoning and planning department. Double check and get in writing from local zoning officials.

Clint

Originally posted by @Sreekanth Nalabotu :

Hi -

1) is a 7000 sqft retail center possible in 20,952 sqft land (.48 acre)

2) what does it mean by "+/- 10,000 SF Buildable area with an agreement for extra parking area", is it a risk building retail center depending on parking space agreements

3) can we construct open parking in electrical, drainage easements and building setbacks ? (boxed with pink border below)

You want to make sure to research the easements and meet with the city to understand all of your questions before you proceed. Usually easements for drainage and utilities can not be improved or encumbered but again you need to research the specific requirements in your case.

Thank you, the easement is to a C3 zoned corner lot .48 acres for variable width drainage and electrical; in the lot just next to it there is a retail center with parking in easement (shown in pic below); 'd like to build a 7000 sqft retail center in 20,950 sqft lot; i'll check with city, 7k is already too tight for a 21k sqft lot, if parking is also not permitted in easements i don't think its possible to build, trying to get second opinion...

Originally posted by @Sreekanth Nalabotu :

Thank you, the easement is to a C3 zoned corner lot .48 acres for variable width drainage and electrical; in the lot just next to it there is a retail center with parking in easement (shown in pic below); 'd like to build a 7000 sqft retail center in 20,950 sqft lot; i'll check with city, 7k is already too tight for a 21k sqft lot, if parking is also not permitted in easements i don't think its possible to build, trying to get second opinion...

I've seen easement and city approve parking spaces in easements, BUT you cannot count those spaces. 

This is going to largely be a local 'preferrence' type of item. I do this kind of work, and here the answer is yes you can build parking, access and likely underground utilites for your site as long as the easement doesn't preclude your uses. Whoever the easement is to may have design guidelines you need to adhere to and they may have a token approval authority/process but it can be done. Also something I see already, the electrical easement doesn't begin until 16' above grade...so that easement has a lower limit, meaning parking wouldn't even be in the easement. Also locally all of the parking in the easement or even off site with a parking agreement would all be able to count toward you development requirements.

Ronald says - I've seen easement and city approve parking spaces in easements, BUT you cannot count those spaces.

Matt says - Also locally all of the parking in the easement or even off site with a parking agreement would all be able to count toward you development requirements.

Thank you, little confused ( i understand city development office is the best place to get answers) but just making sure can i count the parking spaces in easements towards my development requirements (7k sqft retail center)