Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Peyton Zachrich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Zoning Variance for Self Storage - hard to get?

Peyton Zachrich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Jan 19 2020, 13:58

Hey everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience applying for zoning variances for self storage? A partner and I own a warehouse in a small market that we're interested in converting to self storage, but it's in a "mixed commercial/residential" zoning part of town, and the only zoning classifications that are permitted to build self storage per their code are the purely commercial zones. This is my first time ever navigating zoning and building permitting, so I don't know how flexible or rigid these things are.

Given that the new self-storage facility would be a big improvement over the current vacant and dilapidated warehouse it seems like it would be in their best interest, but I've heard that the local government can be very strict including preventing expansion on another nearby self-storage facility by changing their zoning. We both have strong local ties and care about the town and genuinely want to do what's best for the community, and self storage appears the only thing feasible for development on the property except warehouse space. Can anyone provide insight on what to expect and how to maximize my chance of success here?

Loading replies...