Already is a sheriff Deed between the defendent and the bank

3 Replies

If their is already a sheriff Deed between the defendent and the bank should I not bid on the property at a second sheriff sale? Will there be a broken chain of ownership and be a problem getting title insurance? 

A specific property I am considering bidding on at a sheriff sale, according to the county clerk deed records (as confirmed by the sheriff's office) was already sold to the bank at a sheriff sale. For some reason it is being sold again, as if the defendent still owns it.

Originally posted by @Joe Runcle :

If their is already a sheriff Deed between the defendent and the bank should I not bid on the property at a second sheriff sale? Will there be a broken chain of ownership and be a problem getting title insurance? 

A specific property I am considering bidding on at a sheriff sale, according to the county clerk deed records (as confirmed by the sheriff's office) was already sold to the bank at a sheriff sale. For some reason it is being sold again, as if the defendent still owns it.

It could be another plaintiff/creditor, such as the 1st position lien if the former foreclosure was a 2nd.  Or it could be tax sale via the Sheriff.  

Or they may need to re- foreclose if there was an error in the first action. 

Promotion
Jamestown Invest
Build a well-balanced portfolio with CRE
Considering CRE Investing?
Download this whitepaper and learn about CRE investing from a manager with a 38 year track record
Learn More