Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Almonte
Pro Member
Votes |
Occupied Foreclosure - Do I offer previous owner option to rent?

Jorge Almonte
Pro Member
Posted Jan 11 2022, 09:23

I just purchased an occupied foreclosure (I thought it was vacant). When I met the current occupant it was the previous homeowner who was kind enough to show me around so I could examine the property and explained her original intent was to wait for eviction.

I offered her cash for keys and she asked if staying in the property was an option shes willing to pay market rent. She explained the foreclosure came about after a divorce but as she’s finally been awarded child support she can afford the rent.

Reluctant to offer this option I insisted cash for keys is the best option. Now I’m wondering if I missed an opportunity to simply have a ready tenant. Who has done well in keeping up the property.

The property was to be BRRR'ed and needs little work after examination.

So the question is do I offer the occupant an application for tenancy and assuming she meets the standard let her engage in a lease agreement? If so, do I avoid rehabbing the property?

ARV: 230,000

Purchase: 145,000

Rehab: 20,000 (has not been completed)

Balance owed: 128,000

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied Jan 11 2022, 09:34

Qualify the tenant like any other. If she has sufficient income and can otherwise qualify for the rental I would be tempted to go with it. Your end intention was to rent anyway. You could put off the repairs and turnover costs until she's gone. Obviously you would want to make sure the reason for the default has been remedied though. 

User Stats

Votes
Kai Kopsch
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 13 2022, 12:18

First off congrats on the portages, renting to the former owners can be complicated and get sometimes messy. I would offer Cash for keys.

Kai Kopsch Realty One Group Select Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Almonte
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 26 2022, 17:56

@Kai Kopsch

Thank you. I ended up going cash for keys. She accepted hopefully this will prove a safe route. I chose this in the end to rehab and force equity to also be able to ask for market rent.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Almonte
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 26 2022, 17:58

@Minna Reid

Thank you. I considered this but my gut felt something. It started with her telling me she wasn’t going to move until she got an eviction notice. She ultimately accepted my cash for keys offer but her playing hard ball even about that gave me insight to what she might be like as a tenant. Rather take my chances with new applicants.