Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Robert Walden
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
How to purchase a property that's listed for auction?

Robert Walden
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Apr 27 2022, 16:45

In this seller's market, I see a great number of distressed properties going for auction rather than a straight sale. I suspect people will likely bid them up higher than they're worth, especially considering repairs needed and subsequent ARV. And, my guess is that real estate agents are encouraging owners to extract as much profit as they can from their houses in poor condition, which boosts their auction fees as well.

Is it possible to purchase a property prior to the auction, if its already been listed with an auctioneer? And if so, would I approach the auctioneer or the owner with an offer? I don't want to completely cut the auctioneer out of the deal, or incur any unnecessary fees for the owner for breach of contract with the auctioneer. I planned to make a non-traditional offer of a partnership agreement between the owner, the auctioneer and myself, which has the potential to make even more money for everyone than the auction. 

Is this possible? If so, please explain how best I should proceed.

Thanks!
    :-)

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Apr 27 2022, 19:16
Once it is listed for auction you can 1. bid at auction or 2. work a deal with the homeowner to bring the property current and do whatever.
Foreclosure has a short menu.
Much success.
Bob

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Apr 28 2022, 05:25

What sort of auction are you referring to? Is it a Sheriff sale auction? Or a private auctioneer sale?  There's a big difference between the two as the former is a forced sale.

in either event you can approach the homeowner to try and strike a deal with them.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Walden
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 28 2022, 12:23

Thanks for your replies, Bob and Chad!

To answer Chad's question, its a private auction held by the estate (or family) of a deceased elderly woman. My intent was to try and contact the executor (or family) of the deceased about a possible rehab partnership. But, I don't know how  auction contracts are written. Would the auctioneer feel cheated if I tried to stop the auction? And, how much could/should I offer to buy them out of their anticipated profit from the sale of this house at auction? (I don't want to create any ill will among auctioneers in this market, especially since this is he largest auction firm in the area. I may wan't or need to deal with them again in the future.)

- Robert

User Stats

Votes
Robert Walden
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 30 2022, 12:59
Quote from @Bob Reinhard:
Once it is listed for auction you can 1. bid at auction or 2. work a deal with the homeowner to bring the property current and do whatever.
Foreclosure has a short menu.
Much success.
Bob

Hi Bob -

Thanks for your response. Did you see my response on April 28 at 12:23pm?

- Robert

User Stats

Votes
Robert Walden
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 30 2022, 13:00
Quote from @Chad U.:

What sort of auction are you referring to? Is it a Sheriff sale auction? Or a private auctioneer sale?  There's a big difference between the two as the former is a forced sale.

in either event you can approach the homeowner to try and strike a deal with them.

Hi Chad -

Thanks for your response. Did you see my response to you and Bob on April 28 at 12:23pm?

- Robert

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Apr 30 2022, 13:17
My best surmise is that once listed with an auctioneer, the seller pays a fee regardless.
Ask the seller :)
Keep us apprised.
Bob

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied May 1 2022, 06:40
Quote from @Robert Walden:
Quote from @Chad U.:

Hi Chad -

Thanks for your response. Did you see my response to you and Bob on April 28 at 12:23pm?

- Robert

I've never dealt with private auctions before, other than Auction.com,  so don't know how they are structured.  Try contacting the heirs to make a deal.   

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied May 2 2022, 09:43
Quote from @Robert Walden:

Thanks for your replies, Bob and Chad!

To answer Chad's question, its a private auction held by the estate (or family) of a deceased elderly woman. My intent was to try and contact the executor (or family) of the deceased about a possible rehab partnership. But, I don't know how  auction contracts are written. Would the auctioneer feel cheated if I tried to stop the auction? And, how much could/should I offer to buy them out of their anticipated profit from the sale of this house at auction? (I don't want to create any ill will among auctioneers in this market, especially since this is he largest auction firm in the area. I may wan't or need to deal with them again in the future.)

- Robert

From what you've described the house is not in foreclosure (pre-foreclosure, sheriff's sale or REO auction). There's no distressed seller. The estate has hired an auction company to dispose of the asset to a high bidder. It doesn't sound like they're very motivated to sell and I'd be surprised they would want to make a deal with you (or any other investor). They've likely considered that option already and figured they could get a lot more money for the property by selling through this private auction company.

But it's worth a shot. Good luck Robert!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Walden
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toledo, OH
Replied May 6 2022, 18:12

Well, the house went for $295,000. at the silent auction. One buyer in particular kept bidding up the price. Unfortunately, in view of the extensive work that's needed to repair a leaky roof, resurface the driveway, gut and modernize the kitchen, plus stabilize the hillside leading down to the water, I think they paid too much. The ARV, by my estimation, tops out a around $350,000. for that location. And, they've got at least $50,000. or more of needed repairs before they get up to the high-end quality of the properties on either side of them or across the street. Good luck!  LoL

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions!    :-)

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied May 6 2022, 18:23
Thanks for the update.
Regardless of how and why, it's always about the numbers.