Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Eran Matalon
Votes |
How do websites like Propertyshark get updated Lis Pendens info?

Eran Matalon
Posted Jun 12 2022, 07:46

Hi Guys, 

Im a Broker and work with many Pre-foreclosures in NY. Im wondering how these websites get all the E-filed documents for all the properties in the area in bulk? I need to look up the properties on Propertyshark and only than see the Lis Pendens, meaning i already need to know what addresses have one.  Is there anyway for me to be able to see all the new Lis Pendens that are filed in NY without using these 3rd party websites? Instead of using Ecourts and inserting the index number, i'm wondering if i can do the opposite and see all the info for all the new properties.

Long story short, I want to get the info the other websites get. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Jun 12 2022, 07:59

I don’t know how it acquires its data for resale but generally there are 3 main ways to do this.

• -Buy it governmental body in electronic format – e.g. property tax data; and residential property data (# bdrms/# bthrms).
  • -Buy source recorded data from a government entity – e.g. deed info, mortgage info - and input onto a self-created database.
  • -Individually created but bulked – e.g. multiple listing service where the bulk is by individual agents.

Much success.

Bob

User Stats

Votes
Eran Matalon
Votes |
Replied Jun 12 2022, 14:46

Hi Bob,

I tried going with the second option but they did not go far back with their  data. I need to see all the Lis Pendens dates for each property, which in New York can date back many years since they re-file every three years. 

The first is an option but the cost is absolutely to much at this point.

Thanks for the input! Ill keep my search going.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Jun 12 2022, 15:00
Ah the, the city ... much success !

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 13 2022, 10:22

I'm very skeptical of any third party service that provides this data. It's not easy to get and often the info is in PDF form, which is difficult for their software to scrape. I believe the best way is to get the Lis Penden directly from the government source.

Keep in mind that the more complicated (and expensive) it is to get his info the better. It keeps the competition away :)

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 15 2022, 19:21

@Eran Matalon - most of these companies that aggregate data are just likely buying it from data collection companies. For example, they may purchase the data from a data collection company such a Lexis Nexis.