Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes

Buying at a Sheriff's auction

Tayyab Chaudhry
Posted Jun 15 2022, 19:38

Quick question - looking at a property at the Sheriff's auction. How do you find out if there is a lien again the property from a mortgage company? All the liens I found were tax liens and all the searches the county office are based on the property owner's name and not the address. Does anyone have a sure bet way to do this even if it cost $ ? Don't want to bid & win a property that happens to have a mortgage lien! Thank you in advance.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jun 16 2022, 04:33

Search the Register of Deeds for recorded liens and mortgages.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 16 2022, 07:41

Call a local title company and request a preliminary title report (also known as an owner report or letter report). It will give you title history and tell you if the foreclosing lender is in first lien position and list all subordinate lien holders.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tayyab Chaudhry
Replied Jun 16 2022, 08:09

@John Underwood I'll try again at the Register of deeds (they didn't seem very knowledgeable about it)

@Marty Boardman I called a few title companies this morning locally and none of them will do it unless purchasing a home :/

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 16 2022, 08:25
Quote from @Tayyab Chaudhry:

@John Underwood I'll try again at the Register of deeds (they didn't seem very knowledgeable about it)

@Marty Boardman I called a few title companies this morning locally and none of them will do it unless purchasing a home :/

Tell them you are purchasing a home (if they give you the info and you win the bid) :)