Kim Tonetti
  • Bryn Mawr PA
Votes |
Seeking estate attorney who knows SSI disability & overage rules

Kim Tonetti
  • Bryn Mawr PA
Posted Nov 18 2022, 15:25

Hello, 

Please recommend PA attorneys who know how to structure overages return directions for an owner with SSI disability income. Client wishes to purchase another home with proceeds or assign interest, so SSI income is not at risk.

Thanks,

Kim

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Nov 19 2022, 06:07

@Kim Tonetti, thats kind of a scary question to ask out loud.

As an agent, I don't think I would want to be involved with trying to game the welfare system. SSI is a social welfare program as the recipients didn't earn the benefit their are receiving. Its based on their financial need and it sounds like what you are talking about is hiding this recipient's income/assets so they can keep on collecting.

Whether there is a technically legal way to do it or not, I think many people will find the idea itself offensive. 

User Stats

Votes
Kim Tonetti
  • Bryn Mawr PA
Votes |
  • Bryn Mawr PA
Replied Nov 22 2022, 16:57

@Kevin Sobilo ,  Good advice and I agree with you. Disabled owners would not keep assets, or hide financials, just seek a legal living plan for managing nominal surplus funds within boundaries. Out of my wheelhouse, so told them I would ask around for an estate attorney to refer to them. Very appreciative of your post, Kevin.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.