• Realtor
  • Saint Petersburgh
Votes |
Pre-Foreclosure/ Foreclosure Experiance

Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Saint Petersburgh
Posted Dec 20 2022, 19:19

Hi everyone, I am looking to learn more about Pre-Foreclosure/ Foreclosure homes and how to buy them. If anybody could give me any pointers that would be great. If anybody has actual experience that would be AWESOME!! 

Thanks for all the help & I look forward to hearing from you 

User Stats

Votes
John Slater
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Replied Dec 20 2022, 20:32
Quote from @Hunter Gibson:

Hi everyone, I am looking to learn more about Pre-Foreclosure/ Foreclosure homes and how to buy them. If anybody could give me any pointers that would be great. If anybody has actual experience that would be AWESOME!! 

Hi Hunter.  Pre-foreclosures has been my world for the last 10 years nearly.  I have bought them as flips as investor, and listed them as an agent when flip doesn't make sense.  Let's connect.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Dec 21 2022, 10:56

Hey Hunter! I've been buying pre-foreclosures and at the auction (Trustee's Sales and Sheriff's Sales) since 2002 in Arizona, Illinois and Wisconsin.

Each state has a unique set of rules for how the process works (judicial and non-judicial states). Utah is a non-judicial state, which means that the procedure is governed by state statute.

As a beginner, I think it's best to focus on pre-foreclosures. As a Realtor you will need to be careful and disclose that you're a licensed real estate professional when negotiating with sellers in foreclosure. You may also want to notify your broker.

I've found it's best to approach homeowners in foreclosure when their auction date is 30 days (or less away) because they have limited options at this point. Here's a link to Lundberg and Associates, they're one of the top foreclosure law firms in Utah: https://www.lundbergfirm.com/f...

Are you looking to do foreclosure deals for yourself, or for your clients?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shenell Caldeira
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
Replied Jan 3 2023, 16:01

Aloha!  I am looking at a pre-foreclosure now in Hawaii, how do you contact the bank or what would be the first step?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jan 3 2023, 16:07

@Shenell Caldeira

Worthless to contact the bank, they won’t speak to you. You can try and see if seller will sell you the home.

User Stats

Votes
Shenell Caldeira
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
Replied Jan 3 2023, 16:24

How do I reach the owner if itʻs only showing the bank on the tax information?

User Stats

Votes
Reginald Clark
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 4 2023, 04:30
Quote from @Marty Boardman:

Hey Hunter! I've been buying pre-foreclosures and at the auction (Trustee's Sales and Sheriff's Sales) since 2002 in Arizona, Illinois and Wisconsin.

Each state has a unique set of rules for how the process works (judicial and non-judicial states). Utah is a non-judicial state, which means that the procedure is governed by state statute.

As a beginner, I think it's best to focus on pre-foreclosures. As a Realtor you will need to be careful and disclose that you're a licensed real estate professional when negotiating with sellers in foreclosure. You may also want to notify your broker.

I've found it's best to approach homeowners in foreclosure when their auction date is 30 days (or less away) because they have limited options at this point. Here's a link to Lundberg and Associates, they're one of the top foreclosure law firms in Utah: https://www.lundbergfirm.com/f...

Hi Marty! One of my friends is interested in a foreclosure, but my MLS only lists pre-foreclosures. How do you find foreclosures for your clients?

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jan 4 2023, 08:18
Quote from @Reginald Clark:

Hi Marty! One of my friends is interested in a foreclosure, but my MLS only lists pre-foreclosures. How do you find foreclosures for your clients?

I'm going to assume these pre-foreclosure listings you're seeing on the MLS are properties that sellers chose to list for sale there (and that your MLS does not contain the full list of them in your county).

The best source for finding foreclosures is going directly to your county court (either their website or their office). Here's the link to the Harris County (Houston) courts website. I found 525 active foreclosures for January. These notice of trustee's sale documents include the auction date, time, location, as well as the name of the borrower, their address and original principal balance.

https://www.cclerk.hctx.net/applications/websearch/FRCL_R.aspx#

Lots of leads here! Go get them Reginald!

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jan 4 2023, 08:25
Quote from @Shenell Caldeira:

Aloha!  I am looking at a pre-foreclosure now in Hawaii, how do you contact the bank or what would be the first step?

In the pre-foreclosure phase the ONLY person you can talk to is the owner of the property. That's who you contact to make a deal. As @Chris Seveney noted, the bank won't provide you any info. You're not the borrower and you have no vested interest in the property.

The FIRST step is to verify that there is still an auction date scheduled and the case is active. You don't want to waste time contacting the owner if they're not in foreclosure anymore. You do this by calling the foreclosing attorney (or checking their website). If the case is still active the next step is to make contact with the owner. Write them a letter, track down their phone number to call and/or text and knock on their door. But I recommend waiting to do any of these things until there are 30 days or less left before the sale. By this time the seller is running out of options and will be more willing discount their price.

Good luck Shenell!

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jan 4 2023, 08:33

You're looking for the NOTICE OF FORECLOSURE SALE. These are kept on file in the county where the property is located, and are usually published in a newspaper. This notice contains the homeowner's name, auction date and in some cases a description of the property/principal loan balance. Here's an example:

https://hawaiisclassifieds.com...

Hawaii is a judicial state so the proceedings are handled by the county courts. This means it can take several years for the borrower to lose their home to foreclosure. Keep in mind the more difficult it is to find this info the better! Less competition for you!

User Stats

Votes
Reginald Clark
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 4 2023, 14:52
Quote from @Reginald Clark:

I'm going to assume these pre-foreclosure listings you're seeing on the MLS are properties that sellers chose to list for sale there (and that your MLS does not contain the full list of them in your county).

The best source for finding foreclosures is going directly to your county court (either their website or their office). Here's the link to the Harris County (Houston) courts website. I found 525 active foreclosures for January. These notice of trustee's sale documents include the auction date, time, location, as well as the name of the borrower, their address and original principal balance.

https://www.cclerk.hctx.net/applications/websearch/FRCL_R.aspx#

Lots of leads here! Go get them Reginald!

Wow. Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Shenell Caldeira
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
Replied Jan 4 2023, 15:48

@Marty Boardman. Mahalo!  This house has been in foreclosure for awhile just trying to be as proactive as I can.  Such great information!!! 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied Jan 4 2023, 18:46

These can be tricky to deal with but at the end of the day, you are offering a win-win situation to all parties involved. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 4 2023, 21:06

Pre foreclosure homes is where you will find the best deals. Knock on all doors of homes that are in pre foreclosure and offer to help. 

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Grabka
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Leominster, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Leominster, MA
Replied Jan 5 2023, 07:19

@Hunter Gibson. - message me, I can send you my script & strategy. Our entire business is pre foreclosure prospecting.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 7 2023, 23:57

@John Slater I’m interested in learning as well

User Stats

Votes
Moe Khan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Jan 15 2023, 01:41
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Pre foreclosure homes is where you will find the best deals. Knock on all doors of homes that are in pre foreclosure and offer to help. 

Would you mind providing how to learn about pre-foreclosure process for TX. Any book, article, blog? The whole process is so complicated.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Rob Jacobs
  • Real Estate Coach
  • USA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • USA
Replied Jan 19 2023, 09:47

Hi Shenell. Please feel free to reach out if you need assistance. I've closed over 3200 short sales in 20 years and many in Hawaii. The process is complicated so, it's more than I can post here. Actually more Like I'd need a series of books to post here. Lol.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Jacobs
  • Real Estate Coach
  • USA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • USA
Replied Jan 19 2023, 09:50

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Replied Jan 23 2023, 05:42
Quote from @John Slater:

Hi Hunter.  Pre-foreclosures has been my world for the last 10 years nearly.  I have bought them as flips as investor, and listed them as an agent when flip doesn't make sense.  Let's connect.

What do you like about pre-foreclosures, John?

User Stats

Votes
John Slater
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 06:45
Quote from @Will Fraser:
Quote from @John Slater:

What do you like about pre-foreclosures, John?

Hey Will, great question.  

Here's a great example, working with a seller right now on the agent side.  bought in 2017, got behind during covid, now $60k behind.  can't catch up, lender won't work with them based on their now income.  wife didn't tell husband for two years during covid she wasn't paying mortgage. 

They'd like to keep it, but can't, they have other debts, so much going on, but now they have a plan.  Sell, pocket $200k in equity, appreciation since they bought it, bank 25% for a new deposit in a year once they repair credit, buy two new second hand cars because they need them, pay off credit card debt, put a little extra to the side for increased rent payments for next 12 months, and reorganize to buy in 12-18 months... now they see the light, a chance to move forward, to not stress, and they're lucky the market increased so much... but if they struggle to keep it, struggle to make payments, then 10 months realize they need to sell, would they have as much equity, maybe, maybe not..  So, I got to help a family figure things out, I got to help them reorganize and get out of a massive hole, while I make money as well...

Thats example is probably the biggest reason why pre-foreclosures for me.  But also, they're "need to sell" versus want to sell, so you're not dealing with affects of the current market interest rates convo etc, also many not paying their mortgage don't keep up their house, so this leads allows me to look at flips vs listings.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Bolingbroke
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Mar 7 2023, 16:10

Hey @Hunter Gibson, I’m in SLC, UT and I’ve been working with preforeclosures for a while now.  Let’s connect and work together!

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Saint Petersburgh
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Saint Petersburgh
Replied Mar 8 2023, 08:37

That would be great what a good number to reach you at?

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Shawnell
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 10 2023, 16:25

I see that you're in SLC, so I'm I. How's your search for pre-foreclosure's going?

User Stats

Votes
Blake B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 17 2023, 16:54

True that. Folks tend to not do anything when the heat is down low...but when that Sheriff serves them notice of the auction or eviction...it's a whole other story!

User Stats

Votes
Blake B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 17 2023, 16:55

Look on the county recorder website for the last deed, then skip trace the owner of record.