User Stats

Votes
Robert Thigpen
Votes |
Foreclosure Auction Sale Cancelled Seeking Advice

Robert Thigpen
Posted Jan 19 2023, 14:47

Hi all,

My wife and I were looking to bid at an auction in two weeks on a preforeclosure home. We got a notification today that the sale was cancelled due to reinstatement of the mortgage. The owners filed bankruptcy in 2019 and went through a previous foreclosure in 2013. Does anyone have advice on reaching out to owners post reinstatement to see if we can purchase directly from them if interested? 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 19 2023, 16:26

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. The owners names and address are a matter of public record. You could send them a letter or a postcard, or knock on their door, and ask them "Do you want to sell your house?"

That's pretty much it. 

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jan 19 2023, 17:54

@Jeff Copeland

If they reinstated why would they want to sell their home? The whole purpose of reinstating is to keep their home

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 19 2023, 18:18
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Jeff Copeland

If they reinstated why would they want to sell their home? The whole purpose of reinstating is to keep their home

I have no idea. I was just answering the original poster's question.

But, to be fair, just because someone reinstated their mortgage after a looming foreclosure doesn't mean they'll never want to sell the property. It could be worth staying in touch.

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Slater
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Replied Jan 20 2023, 06:17

@Robert Thigpen

Hi. Yes, I would go knock the door, or hand deliver a letter… “hi, my wife and I are looking to purchase in this area, wanted to check if you were considering selling” something like that.

Why would they want to sell?

Maybe they took a private loan to avoid foreclosure but they know they’ll be in trouble in 4 months anyway - SUPER common.

Maybe they already plan to sell. Reinstating was just to give them time.

Or, maybe they don’t want to sell. You don’t know until you ask.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Thigpen
Votes |
Replied Jan 20 2023, 06:36

Quote from @Jeff Copeland:

@Jeff Copeland

But, to be fair, just because someone reinstated their mortgage after a looming foreclosure doesn't mean they'll never want to sell the property. It could be worth staying in touch.

@John Slater

I think that is a good plan to go and knock on their door.

We did a bunch of investigating and found that they were foreclosed on in 2012 on a different property, claimed bankruptcy in 2019, and the husband got a DUI and lost his job in early 2021. So we are assuming their financial troubles are not magically fixed. In order to reinstate the loan the would have had to pay 2-3 years of payments plus the back taxes which for that property was probably north of $50,000. I think you are most likely spot on that they took out a personal loan to get current with the lender.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Feb 2 2023, 08:41
Quote from @Robert Thigpen:

@Jeff Copeland

@John Slater

We did a bunch of investigating and found that they were foreclosed on in 2012 on a different property, claimed bankruptcy in 2019, and the husband got a DUI and lost his job in early 2021. So we are assuming their financial troubles are not magically fixed. In order to reinstate the loan the would have had to pay 2-3 years of payments plus the back taxes which for that property was probably north of $50,000. I think you are most likely spot on that they took out a personal loan to get current with the lender.

I'm curious Robert why you're so aggressively pursuing this property? Do you want to buy it to live in? As others have pointed out, the seller reinstated their loan. They are no longer in distress and have a lot of options now IF they do want to sell. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Thigpen
Votes |
Replied Feb 2 2023, 08:45
Quote from @Marty Boardman:
Quote from @Robert Thigpen:

@Jeff Copeland

@John Slater

I'm curious Robert why you're so aggressively pursuing this property? Do you want to buy it to live in? As others have pointed out, the seller reinstated their loan. They are no longer in distress and have a lot of options now IF they do want to sell. 

Yes, we were looking to make that our own residence.