Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Noah Masa
Votes |
Illinois Foreclosure - Right of Redemption?

Noah Masa
Posted Jan 25 2023, 05:58

I’m sure a Foreclosure property I’m looking at is still occupied. 
does any one have experience with Illinois right of redemption?; how long they have to leave once if I win the bid at auction? 

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Kokosenski
  • Realtor
  • Muskegon, MI
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Muskegon, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:48

@Noah Masa - I'd recommend you contact your local association of realtors to get these questions answered. Here in Michigan, our association answers questions for the public all the time. Just Google, "Illinois Association of Realtors in [insert major city near you]" and you should be able to get the contact information.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jan 27 2023, 07:29

Hey @Noah Masa - Don't quote me and double check but I am almost positive the right of redemption in Chicago, Illinois is 2 years, so the owner has two years to pay off the back taxes before you can get them out.

Maybe @Bob Floss II can confirm?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 15 2023, 14:22

@Noah Masa

In IL the homeowner redemption period ends 90 days after the 'judgment of foreclosure' has been entered by the court.

That 90 days has typically passed by the time the property reaches auction in IL

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Feb 16 2023, 04:59

@Noah Masa the nice thing about the Chicago area is that we are an attorney close area of the country, so you can just build a relationship with a competent real estate attorney who will know all of this stuff inside and out. As an agent, I know the answer, but I would immediately look at the individual property with my attorney anyways so that I don't run into something unforeseen. His team would pull preliminary title and do a quick research job for me so I don't have to worry about this stuff. 

Do you have a good RE attorney? Need a referral? This doesn't cost anything normally once you get going since you use that same attorney for all your deals... 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Feb 17 2023, 06:12
Quote from @Noah Masa:

I’m sure a Foreclosure property I’m looking at is still occupied. 
does any one have experience with Illinois right of redemption?; how long they have to leave once if I win the bid at auction? 

If you're purchasing a property at an auction it means that the redemption period has passed.

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Floss II
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Northbrook, IL
Replied Mar 22 2023, 12:33

@Jonathan Klemm Illinois is a Judicial Foreclosure state. At the time of the foreclosure auction, the redemption period has expired. The property has to go back to the confirmation hearing in front of the foreclosure judge and it's extremely hard to stop the sale from being confirmed. If you go north into Wisconsin, it's the polar opposite and homeowners can overturn the foreclosure auction.