Votes
Tim Nethers
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Allegheny Sheriff Sale

Tim Nethers
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Mar 29 2023, 13:41

I had a neighboring property come up on the upcoming Sheriff Sale; I called the attorney and the buyer paid in full. That got me interested in learning more about the local Sheriff Sale, but its a bit more challenging as an out of state investor. Where I live, I can pull a title for $45, review foreclosures all on a condensed website, and pay for the sale online. Is there anything like this for the sheriff sale and foreclosures in Allegheny? I am interested in acquiring additional small multifamily units in B-/C neighborhoods.

Do you have any recommendations for an out of state investor, looking to evaluate properties that come up for auction? Are there any affordable title websites, I was running across title fee of $285.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 30 2023, 07:12

I would connect with an investor who can be your eyes on the ground and bring that value to you

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Apr 2 2023, 14:31

You might want to reach out to @Steve @Steve Babiak since he is well versed in PA foreclosures. When property owner get notice, they often pay up and the opportunity instantly disappears. In my area of NC we have people providing online service for pre-foreclosures, mostly first D-T, but I don't know about counties in PA. 

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 2 2023, 14:38

Some foreclosures you can find out if the first is foreclosing, then your other worries are taxes and municipal liens. There are not free title companies or low cost. You can check to see if it sells as clear title. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 2 2023, 20:56

I am not familiar with how Allegheny conducts sheriff sales, so I can’t answer any questions specific to that area. If it is like most PA counties, some of the properties being offered for sale will not be mortgage foreclosures, and as such there are rules for those that differ from the rules for mortgage foreclosures.

A number of years ago I posted a Sheriff Sale FAQ that you should search for and read.

Since the overwhelming majority of properties listed for sheriff sale end up not going to auction in the month they are listed for, you can end up with lots of title searches where you don’t even get to bid on a property you wanted to bid on; it gets even more painful if you paid for those title searches. Since it’s possible to perform title searches DIY, you might want to consider that.