Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Robert Taylor
  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer
  • Fox Point, WI
Votes |
Experienced auction buyer looking for advice on how to deal directly with current homeowner about to lose their house at the auction

Robert Taylor
  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer
  • Fox Point, WI
Posted Mar 17 2014, 16:00

Between my brother (who is my partner) and myself, we've bought at least 40 properties (residential and several commercial properties) at our local sheriff's auction over the last 10 years. As is common with a lot of local auctions, here in Milwaukee County at least 90% of the properties going through the auction are bought back by the bank that's foreclosing, they've set the opening bid amount too high to make buying it at the auction make any financial sense to buy at the auction.

This also brings to mind another possible strategy, dealing directly with the soon to be former owner who's losing the house. Here in WI, the sale is not final when the house goes through the auction, it is finalized at a confirmation hearing, which is usually about 3 to 6 weeks after the auction date. So, for the house I'm interested in, it went through the auction today, March 17th but the sale won't be finalized until April 7th at the confirmation hearing. So, the soon to be former owner has these last 3 weeks to possibly save their ownership. Usually nothing changes and the sale goes through, although occasionally something happens, often its saved or at least put off when the owner files for bankruptcy, although if they're somehow able to come up with the money, they can save it that way, too.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had success dealing directly with the soon to be former owner of properties?

I have the cash to pay off what the amount was that the house sold for at the auction today. I know that you have to be careful when dealing with the owners, due to all of the "foreclosure scams" that have been done lately, but I'm simply looking to first get inside and see the house to make sure its still in decent shape and then to contact the bank to see how much I could buy it for or how much to pay off what they owe. I did find the owner on Facebook, so I have at least one way to contact him, it looks like they already moved out of the house.

Loading replies...