Real estate agents with HUD, Fannie, Freddie

3 Replies

I just wanted to ask those who have experience buying through Fannie, Freddie, and HUD if you used a real estate agent or simply had an attorney and title company work for you? I ask mainly because on one property I wanted to view, the listing agent kind of insisted I have an agent contact them which I thought was odd. I forget which site it was on. Also, I am buying in Florida.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Well, you have to use an agent for HUD, and most Fannie/Freddie properties to place an offer. That's the way the owners have set it up. Why do you think you don't want to use an agent?

@Wayne Brooks Thanks for the quick reply. It's not that I don't want to use an agent, I just wanted to know if it was more or less 'mandatory' to use one. Since I look at so many homes, I don't really want to have to deal with scheduling appointments with different people especially when there is a high chance I may not even be interested in the property. Also, I was under the impression that here in Fla., a good title agent/company is all you really need, but I guess I am mistaken. 

I guess i should get on the phone with my agent lol. Thanks for the info. Have you purchased many homes through these agencies? 

Also on a side note, do second and third mortgages get wiped out at tax deed sales? I read everything, but municipal and utility liens get wiped out, is that more or less correct? 

Thanks again. 

yes, all private liens get wiped at a tax deed sale.  This assumes they were properly notified, which gets verified thru the quiet title process.  As for using an agent, you'll need the agent to access the properties anyway, and they should know the system for each property.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.