How to find bank and loan information on a pre-foreclosure?

6 Replies

I'm in CA and found a property that has a Notice of Default posted in public records, but how do I find out the bank that is foreclosing? I want to find out where this in the process. I can't find a Notice of Trustee sale posted so I am thinking this is still early in the process and I should contact the bank?

The other route I was considering is calling the owner to buy the property directly?

What do you think is a better route?

The bank can not help you or even talk to you. Find the owner, if there is any equity.

Originally posted by @Kalpesh Galal :

I'm in CA and found a property that has a Notice of Default posted in public records, but how do I find out the bank that is foreclosing? I want to find out where this in the process. I can't find a Notice of Trustee sale posted so I am thinking this is still early in the process and I should contact the bank?

The other route I was considering is calling the owner to buy the property directly?

What do you think is a better route?

What bank owns it is irrelevant for your objectives. As Wayne points out (I get tired of pointing out Wayne's accurate points) they couldn't help you if the wanted to and trust me, they don't want to help you out. Your only hope is the owner.

it's easy to find out where they are in the process. If the notice of default was recorded, you are somewhere in the middle of the 90 days before notice of sale. publishing the notice of sale happens around 90 days after publishing the notice of default in California so, just take the recording date of the NOD and compare it to today. That tells you how many days you are into it before they are allowed to publish. Once you get notice, you have a minimum of 21 days before the sale occurs, all things being equal.

Thanks Wayne and Ron.

I was hoping that the answers were not what I thought. Looking at public record it looks like this is the second time this owner has defaulted. The last time was about 5 years ago.

What service do you recommend to get the owners phone number?

Originally posted by @Kalpesh Galal :

Thanks Wayne and Ron.

I was hoping that the answers were not what I thought. Looking at public record it looks like this is the second time this owner has defaulted. The last time was about 5 years ago.

What service do you recommend to get the owners phone number?

I'd recommend a door knock, not a phone call.

@Kalpesh Galal You could look at the county clerk's office, but even so, chances are, the bank whose name is on the mortgage doesn't own it now. And @Wayne Brooks is right, unless you have permission from the seller, the bank won't even tell you that property exists. 

Best bet is to take @Ron S. advice and go knock on their door or their neighbor's door until you find someone who knows how to get ahold of them.

Hi!!! If you have a realtor contact person they can possibly help you as well; We have a system that shows us who the last lender was when was the last sale, balance of the loan, Sale transfers,NOD dates and filings etc there is also a system called foreclosure radar I believe they have this info to it's been over 6 years since I've used them so I'm not sure if the system has had any changes..... Also check out (thatsthem.com) is like a white pages but better I use it all the time when I'm trying to look up phone numbers for sellers. Good Luck :)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here