User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kelly
Votes |
Tax Liens in Alabama

Andrew Kelly
Posted Dec 12 2018, 20:02

Hello,

I purchased a tax lien from the state of Alabama in November 2018. The property went to the tax sale 6 years ago and was purchased but the tax holder held the property for 4 years and defaulted on taxes and never quieted the deed. Does the previous tax lien holder have any redemption rights note they are not the owner or an heir of the previous owner.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Dec 13 2018, 05:50

@Andrew Kelly, Yes, they have redemption rights, plus the original owner.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kelly
Votes |
Replied Dec 28 2018, 01:43

On this same issue the previous investor came today after months broke in and changed the locks. I found out because one neighbor called me. They have not tried to redeem or anything. What action should I take at this point, note I only have the tax certificate and before and after pictures of my work to the home. The neighborhood knows I have been working on this property and have had possession.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Nicol
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Jan 4 2020, 05:26

@Andrew Kelly

Any update on what happened?

Have you had any success buying properties through tax liens in Alabama that you could share?

I’ve been looking around trying to figure out how to get from https://revenue.alabama.gov/property-tax/delinquent-search/?ador-delinquent-county=01&_ador-delinquent-county-submit=submit&ador-delinquent-offset=1 to mls so I can find target properties. Would love to here from anyone who’s had success with this strategy in Alabama,

User Stats

Votes
Shimira Greene
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Replied Jan 13 2020, 22:30
What exactly are you trying to do?

Originally posted by @Daniel Nicol:

@Andrew Kelly

Have you had any success buying properties through tax liens in Alabama that you could share?

I’ve been looking around trying to figure out how to get from https://revenue.alabama.gov/pr... to mls so I can find target properties. Would love to here from anyone who’s had success with this strategy in Alabama,

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Nicol
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Jan 14 2020, 03:38

@Shimira Greene

I’m getting started buying properties via tax deed. I actually figured out that you can take the parcel ID and find the address through the county tax office.

My plan is to rehab and rent or flip depending on the market. I’ll also hold some rentals and sell some to cash flow buyers.

User Stats

Votes
Shimira Greene
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Replied Jan 16 2020, 23:18

That is one way I’ve used as well. Glad you’re putting it all together!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kelly
Votes |
Replied Jan 17 2020, 03:56
The property actually went to the sale on June of 2016 so I got the tax deed in June of 2019. Even though they may have had redepemtion rights they only had an old tax certificate that was outdated because I got a tax certificate and now a deed. In Alabama I was seen as the owner so I could of filed an ejectment lawsuit but that would admit I was not in possession and maybe cause me to lose my repair investment in the property. Since I was in posession of the tax deed I called the police because most officials not alone police dont know the law on tax property in alabama. So when the police arrived I told them the truth that I was fixing on my property and came back and these people broke in and changed my locks.They showed there tax certificate the police saw my new Deed as owner and told them they were trespassing and they would have to go through the courts if the want to redeem the property because I am now the owner in the eyes of the law. I am now renting all the property with no problems. Something similar has now happened to me three times in Montgomery AL and all three times calling the police has worked. From now on I'm going to file an ejectment after having the Tax Certificate for the minimum time but note once you receive a deed you can file an ejectment immediately because you're the owner. Current paperwork in Montgomery Al works!!!

Originally posted by @Daniel Nicol:

@Andrew Kelly

I’ve been looking around trying to figure out how to get from https://revenue.alabama.gov/pr... to mls so I can find target properties. Would love to here from anyone who’s had success with this strategy in Alabama,

User Stats

Votes
Shimira Greene
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Replied Feb 3 2020, 06:08

@Andrew Kelly how do file the ejectment? I have been trying to complete this process for two years now and can’t get anything on this process (successful information). How long and how much is this process to do it yourself? Or do you have a lawyer you use?

Also congrats on getting your possession rights back with the police. Glad someone who understood the process was on scene. 

Do you check your titles as well?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "trying get from AlabamaRev... to MLS" Are you saying you want to obtain the tax deeds and then list the properties for sale?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kelly
Votes |
Replied Feb 12 2020, 14:09
Originally posted by @Shimira Greene:

@Andrew Kelly how do file the ejectment? I have been trying to complete this process for two years now and can’t get anything on this process (successful information). How long and how much is this process to do it yourself? Or do you have a lawyer you use?

Also congrats on getting your possession rights back with the police. Glad someone who understood the process was on scene. 

Do you check your titles as well?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "trying get from AlabamaRev... to MLS" Are you saying you want to obtain the tax deeds and then list the properties for sale?

I have an attorney Will Kelly, he is very reasonable. Both of my ejectments took about the same time as an eviction would. Also remember the attorney fees are on the party you are filing against so thats a plus! Yes it's a good idea to check the titles.

User Stats

Votes
Shimira Greene
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Opelika, AL
Replied Feb 26 2020, 06:08

Thank you for a name. I’ve been looking for  a lawyer to handle mine and one who I know will get it done. 
Thankfully I have not had to do an ejectment so about how long does it take? Going to message you.

User Stats

Votes
Anita Moore-Bohannon
  • Illinois
Votes |

@Andrew Kelly - Hello, I’m building my team to invest in Alabama. Would you mind sharing how I reach the attorney you mentioned? Does he have a website?