Subject to Investment home

2 Replies

There is a house that is only a few minutes drive from me that's in preforeclosure. I am thinking that I would want to do a subject to with this house but I am unsure how to offer it. Would they be scared off or offended if I tell them that I am a real estate investor? What is the best approach?

Hi @Eben Krigger and welcome to BiggerPockets!

In my experience, the best approach is to focus first on the needs of the seller. The only way to do that is to have a plain old person-to-person conversation with them.

For now, you're just a "serious buyer" interested in their home, not a "real estate investor."

Similarly, "subject-to" is a just a strategy (for the record, I recommend calling it "taking over payments"). In some scenarios it can be very helpful, and sometimes not so much. The only way you can know is to understand their full situation and the terms of their underlying loan.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Mitch Messer :

Hi @Eben Krigger and welcome to BiggerPockets!

In my experience, the best approach is to focus first on the needs of the seller. The only way to do that is to have a plain old person-to-person conversation with them.

For now, you're just a "serious buyer" interested in their home, not a "real estate investor."

Similarly, "subject-to" is a just a strategy (for the record, I recommend calling it "taking over payments"). In some scenarios it can be very helpful, and sometimes not so much. The only way you can know is to understand their full situation and the terms of their underlying loan.

Good luck!

This was extremely helpful! Thank you so much!!