• Austin, TX
Votes |
List of Helpful Books and Resources for Multifamily Investing

Ryan Mapes
Lender
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jan 25 2022, 14:33

I've recently had a number of friends ask me which books/resources helped me get started with multifamily investing.  I put together a list and thought I'd share it here as well.  Any others that you'd recommend?

General Resources:

1. Bigger Pockets - Excellent podcast and community/forum. It's an easy way to quickly learn how to invest in real estate and you can pick and choose the topics you care about. Listen to the podcast while you commute to and from work. 
    • Never Split the Difference (Chris Voss) - written by former FBI hostage negotiator. These negotiating techniques work really well across real estate and other business settings. Really interesting read. Chris makes an appearance on one of the episodes of the Bigger Pockets Podcast and now has a course on MasterClass.com.

Small Multi-Family (2-4 Units): Anything above 4 units gets into commercial loan territory.

1. Long Distance Real Estate (David Greene) - Solid guide for how to invest in real estate outside of your home city. Valuable to anybody that lives in an expensive city and wants/needs to invest in a more profitable market.

2. Flip Your Future (Ryan Pineda) - A step by step guide for how to flip a property. Very fast read...valuable content.  Different strategy than buy & hold.  But, useful read.

3. The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs (J. Scott) - Detailed guide on how to estimate rehab costs for any flip/renovation. Easy read and very helpful for keeping your rehabs under control. Get the updated version.

Larger Multi-Family (10+ units):

These properties require surprisingly little of your own money and not much more effort than smaller properties (2-4 units).

1. Wheelbarrow Profits (Jake Stenziano) - A solid primer for investing in larger multi-family properties (5+ units). This book really helped me wrap my mind around key concepts involved in commercial lending, etc.

2. Multi-Family Millions (David Lindahl) - great book on how to reposition large properties for maximum profit.

3. Crushing it in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate (Brian Murray) - similar to book above...highly recommend.

You can grab all of these out on Amazon.

Hope this list was helpful and please let me know if there are others that you highly recommend!

Loading replies...