Votes
Jad Haddad
Pro Member
Votes |
Multi-Family Investing for Beginners

Jad Haddad
Pro Member
Posted Jan 16 2022, 21:03

What are some of the best resources (e.g., courses, books, etc.) for beginners to learn about multi-family investing? 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Nault
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Manchester, NH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Manchester, NH
Replied Jan 17 2022, 05:04

@Jad Haddad I like to recommend, books, podcast's as that is what I have used thus far.  All the BP Podcast's a great! As far as books go I really like rich dad poor dad to help drive home the concept of investing in real estate and then the book on Managing rental properties for the actually day to day of rentals.  However, the best way in my opinion is to learn through trial and error. I would recommend starting with a House Hack to help get your baring's as a landlord and then expanding from there.   Good luck with your investing! 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied Jan 17 2022, 07:26

I would go through and listen to the previous BP podcasts about multi family investing. A lot of the books will give you a good general sense of the strategy, and podcasts will allow an individual to show their creative spin on the strategy and how they found success. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Lacey
  • Investor
  • Castle Rock, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Castle Rock, CO
Replied Jan 17 2022, 08:23
The Diary of an Apartment Investor podcast is great place to learn. That one is unique in that the host pairs an experienced investor with an aspiring one that asks him questions about how to succeed. It's full of great tips.
Jake and Gino also have a great podcast.

Books:
Wheelbarrow Profits
Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book
Lifetime Cashflow through Multifamily Properties

User Stats

Votes
E. C. "Stony" Stonebraker
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Coral Gables, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Coral Gables, FL
Replied Jan 17 2022, 09:57

@Jad Haddad, there are a lot of paths to investing in real estate.  Do you want to be an active or passive investor, residential or commercial, and numerous other possibilities.  It depends on the time you have available, the money you have, your contacts in the business, your skills, etc.  Reading and listening to podcasts will defeinitely help you decide which path you want to start out on.

@Adam Lacey has some good suggestions.  I'd also suggest The Hands-Off Investor by Brian Burke, Investing in Income Properties by Ken Rosen, Multi-Family Millions by Dave Lindahl, and The Perfect Investment by Paul Moore.  Podcasts include The Real Estate Syndication Show by Whitney Sewell, The Jake & Gino Show, Multifamily Investor Nation by Dan Handford, and Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever by Joe Fairless.

In addition to books and podcasts, I'd recommend attending a couple of events to meet investors and learn from networking and presentations.  Don't hesitate to ask any questions.  Most of us are very glad to help new investors get on the right track.  Do Google searches for events to attend or post to BP and ask for opinions about the events.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Braig
Pro Member
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 24 2022, 11:05

Hi Jad, 

While not real estate specific, "It Takes What It Takes" by Trevor Moawad, is a great resource. It discusses the notion of neutral thinking and getting to the truth quickly to overcome challenges. In a space with obstacles and challenges both seen and unforeseen being able to utilize neutral thinking overcome a challenge and progress forward is great reminder and process. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Mapes
Lender
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 26 2022, 19:27

@Jad Haddad I posted a list of helpful multifamily books/resources in another thread.  Highly recommend these!  https://www.biggerpockets.com/...