Votes |
How do you verify rent roll?

Brian Plajer
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chalfont, PA
Posted Jan 17 2022, 08:03

Hello,

When reviewing a multifamily property and the current rent is listed how do you verify that the current tenants are actually paying their rent? Anyone can create a spreadsheet. I often hear about the rent roll but how do know its legit and is there any recourse if it turns out to be fake

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Whitcher
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jan 17 2022, 08:10

Hey Brian! This is a great question. I am familiar with the process of commercial real estate where a CRM and management company is in place, usually receiving bank statements or deposit information from the bank through the online payment software. However, I am not familiar with smaller acquisitions. I am commenting to follow this thread in hopes of an answer! Have a great one! 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jan 17 2022, 09:25

@Brian Plajer for starters you can compare it to a bank statement. Do several months. You can also use Estoppel Certs. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Greg Kasmer
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Philadelphia
Replied Jan 17 2022, 12:28

Brian - I would true up the rent roll with the last 12 and 24 months P&L provided by the seller. For a seller using software to manage the building/property they should easily be able to provide that information once in due diligence. Also, during due diligence you should be able to get the last few bank statements as well as the high level information from tax filings from the seller. If the revenues don't appear to match the expectations set by the rent roll I would definitely inquire. And, as mentioned by Bjorn I would get each of the tenants to sign an Estoppel Certificate which should confirm the rent they are paying as well as the security deposit they paid to the current seller. Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Plajer
Pro Member
  • Chalfont, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chalfont, PA
Replied Jan 17 2022, 12:46

Thanks guys!  I must have listened to over 400 podcasts and read many books and this is where I learn of the Estoppel certificate. Love these forums. 

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Gray
  • Syndication Expert and Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Syndication Expert and Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 17 2022, 12:48

You do a lease / file audit during your DD period in addition to a physical inspection of any many units as possible (ideally 100%). The rent roll is usually off by a little, even if it just unaccounted for pets. 

User Stats

Votes
Toben B.
  • Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jan 17 2022, 13:52

I did it by reading all the leases. I found some minor deposit amounts that were different but otherwise it was fine. 

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Whitcher
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jan 17 2022, 14:04

@Brian Plajer you and me both when it comes to Estoppel!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua McIntire
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 18 2022, 00:14

We have tenants sign an estoppel certificate and cross reference their estoppel, to their lease, and any rent increase notices. 

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Tope
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Katy, TX
Replied Jan 18 2022, 06:03
Originally posted by @Joshua McIntire:

We have tenants sign an estoppel certificate and cross reference their estoppel, to their lease, and any rent increase notices. 

Same! A general estoppel agreement helps clarify a lot of information - utilities, who owns appliances, rent, deposit, etc. 

Emerson Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Percy N.
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 18 2022, 07:03

@Brian Plajer for larger multi-family, I recommend:

1. Do a physical lease audit where you review each lease document and cross-reference it with the rent toll.

2. As for a bank ledger or bank deposit report (most software packages like Realpage, Yardi and Resman will have these as standard reports). You could ask for bank statements to verify deposits, but I find some sellers are a little leary for that.

3. Ask for a "delinquency and pre-paid" report showing all the amounts owed and paid in advance.

4. If you have any folks on a housing benefits program, I would get an understanding of that as well.

Verifying the rent roll is an important step but just one of many steps in the DD process. If you message me your email address, I can send you a due diligence template we use.