• Buckley Wa
Votes |
Multiple SFR or 1 multi fam?

Connor Williams
  • Buckley Wa
Posted May 18 2022, 10:57

Would you rather purchase 3-4 sfr with 25-30% down

or 

1 multi fam or commercial (apartment etc) with 20% down.

I would have 450k to work with.  

User Stats

Votes
Issac San Miguel
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Replied May 18 2022, 11:03

Me personally, a multi fam, simply due to my comfort level with the asset class.

Both have upside of course - if you needed to recapitalize after your initial investment, you could always sell 1 of the 4 sfr

I'd say the decision lies ultimately in your short term and long term goals.

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#3 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied May 18 2022, 12:07

@Connor Williams, it really comes down to numbers and risk profiles of assets.  If everything is equivalent, I would look at the multifamily for ease of operations, generally, but there are trade offs to both.  As Issac noted, owning single family rentals, means you can sell one without selling rest.  But you have 4 roofs, 4 RET bills, 4 Insurance bills, 4 yards to maintain (potentially).

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 18 2022, 12:45

@Connor Williams It depends on what your goals are. If you're looking to cash flow, then I would think Multifamily is the way to go.

User Stats

Votes
Connor Williams
  • Buckley Wa
Votes |
  • Buckley Wa
Replied May 18 2022, 16:55

Those replies make sense. I think overall the sfr have a better chance at appreciation in the future. The cash flow would be about the same, right now being that you essentially hVe to buy your cash flow in my market 

User Stats

Votes
Issac San Miguel
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Replied May 18 2022, 16:59
Quote from @Connor Williams:

Those replies make sense. I think overall the sfr have a better chance at appreciation in the future. The cash flow would be about the same, right now being that you essentially hVe to buy your cash flow in my market 

exciting times! i love washington state. my very best colleague is a wasu alum. there is a ton happening up there right now.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Nobile
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 18 2022, 17:48

@Connor Williams Are you planing to buy strictly as an investment property or a house hack? Also where in WA are you looking to invest? 450k for a small multifamily in the greater seattle area might not give you too much to work with. 

User Stats

Votes
Sherief Elbassuoni
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied May 19 2022, 01:30

@Connor Williams, single-family appreciates more. Multifamily is easier to manage. It all depends on your end goals. 

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied May 19 2022, 05:19

I would rather own one multifamily than multiple homes. One closing versus 3 or 4, one location, easier to manage. There are advantages to both niches, but I think the multifamily space is much easier to scale and to manage.

Good Luck

Gino

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Vukelich
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Auburn, WA: 🏢 26 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Auburn, WA: 🏢 26 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs
Replied May 19 2022, 12:27

Like most all previously mention, depends on your goals but I would do 5+ unit MF all day long over a handful of SF. The best benefit I see from several SF is being able to liquidate a door at a time, as needed. Other than that you can't really force appreciation on a SF like you can for a 5+ property. SF are more at the mercy of comps. You can add value through improvements but still <4 units will still be subject to comps. You may add a bedroom or bath, improve the exterior but it's not the same. You can force appreciation on your commercial assets through improving the NOI. Increasing your NOI by $1000/mo or $12k/year on a current 6% CAP property, adds $200k in value.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 19 2022, 12:44

Plenty of great info above, but MFH are typically logistically easier to manage, but higher vacancy and turnovers, turnover costs are typically higher as well, but you would likely see slightly higher ROI too.

There really isn't a "right" option, give and take both ways. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Becky Elder
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Maple Valley, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Maple Valley, WA
Replied May 26 2022, 21:21

I agree with the comments above about your goals.  Appreciation or Cash flow or combination of both?  

There's less turn over with single family than mutifamily - would you be managing the properties yourself? 

I'm a Mortgage advisor and would be happy to chat with you about your goals and strategize with you on your plan.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Hunt
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied May 27 2022, 11:37

Why 25-30% down on the SFR? I always advise for diversity amongst real estate holdings if you are holding for the long term. So I would suggest a mix of both, if possible. $450k is a lot of down payment money, with that I can have you approved to purchase up to $2,250,000. In which I am sure you could buy whatever you like.