• Investor
  • California
Votes |
multi family lenders for out of state deals

Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Posted Jun 24 2022, 11:14

I am looking to purchase a 20  unit deal out of state. I currently live in CA, but looking to invest in a different state. Other than speaking with a mortgage broker, almost all the local lenders (commercial) mentioned they would have a hard time providing me with a loan of this type to an out of state investor. Most only offered me a loan for 1-4 units. 

I do not understand how other folks on Bigger pockets mention they purchase MF deals in different states. 

Any suggestions.

User Stats

Votes
Dalton King
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:19

Great question, I believe local lenders may have restrictions that prevent them from lending out of state. Your best bet for investing out of state is finding a lender online that you could connect with. I have a couple recommendation's if you'd like. They do 5+ unit commercial loans so it should work for you. 

Other options would be private money or some kind of crowdfunding/syndication.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:26

There are 2 ways to go.

Bridge Financing
Usually used for value add properties with under market rent. This gives you the opportunity to acquire the property and get it into a shape where you can get permanent financing. You can also get your rehab financed through this.

Permanent Financing
There are plenty of commercial lenders that will finance the deal out of state but often times they want at least $500k in loan amount. Rate can be comparable to FNMA permanent financing. Main thing is the property occupancy and debt service coverage ratio often time needing 1.2-1.25. The most important thing in purchasing a multi family deal is the property itself along with your personal financials. Personal income not so much. I'm in Cali but we've financed FL, TX, OH no problem.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:31

My clients and I personally do MF deals often without any problem with securing out-of-state financing (meaning it is out of the buyer's residence state - but in the state where the property is located).  What we are encountering includes:

1.  If you haven't managed/had a successful track record with a MF/Apartment in the past, commercial residential lenders aren't interested.  

2.  We have been told that the appetite for commercial residential is limited/greatly decreased as the investment interest has waned.  That is not the case with up to 4 unit properties where lending is still robust.

I recommend finding the property first and then making a case for why it is a good risk:  your experience, cash flow, liquidity.  Also, build your bench strength by having a commercial realtor/broker on your side; not only can they help find the property, they can assist in providing resources - including lenders.

Best...

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:48
Quote from @Dalton King:

Great question, I believe local lenders may have restrictions that prevent them from lending out of state. Your best bet for investing out of state is finding a lender online that you could connect with. I have a couple recommendation's if you'd like. They do 5+ unit commercial loans so it should work for you. 

Thank you ! Yes if you can provide those recommendations that would be wonderful ! 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:49

@Diva Rescia

Never encountered this.  I help first time investors purchase larger multifamily properties out of their home state all the time... no lender has ever questioned it to me. 

Why do you not want to talk to a mortgage broker?  Any commercial mortgage broker will have easy access to help you find what you are looking for and often at better costs and with more ease.

Sounds to me like you are asking the wrong lenders or looking in the wrong places.  Brokers are a great resource to help folks out who are having trouble such as what you are now.

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:50
Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

My clients and I personally do MF deals often without any problem with securing out-of-state financing (meaning it is out of the buyer's residence state - but in the state where the property is located).  What we are encountering includes:

1.  If you haven't managed/had a successful track record with a MF/Apartment in the past, commercial residential lenders aren't interested.  

2.  We have been told that the appetite for commercial residential is limited/greatly decreased as the investment interest has waned.  That is not the case with up to 4 unit properties where lending is still robust.

I recommend finding the property first and then making a case for why it is a good risk:  your experience, cash flow, liquidity.  Also, build your bench strength by having a commercial realtor/broker on your side; not only can they help find the property, they can assist in providing resources - including lenders.

Best...

Thank you Patricia that was helpful

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:53

If you're looking out of your primary state, I'm assuming you're also going to have the property managed by a company - I'd lean into your property management company and ask for their list of lenders and potentially any out of state investors they manage for. 

I do all of my investing out of my primary state and got a list of lenders from my property manager on the first purchase and have used the same lender for the rest of my purchases after. 

Just another way to use your network!

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 24 2022, 15:17
Quote from @Dalton King:

@Dalton King Thanks for the information. If you can send me your recommendations that would be great ! 

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 24 2022, 15:18
Quote from @Zach Scherschel:

If you're looking out of your primary state, I'm assuming you're also going to have the property managed by a company - I'd lean into your property management company and ask for their list of lenders and potentially any out of state investors they manage for. 

I do all of my investing out of my primary state and got a list of lenders from my property manager on the first purchase and have used the same lender for the rest of my purchases after. 

Just another way to use your network!

@Zach Scherschel that is a great idea ! Thank you for sharing ! 

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 24 2022, 15:19
Quote from @Nick Belsky:

@Diva Rescia

Never encountered this.  I help first time investors purchase larger multifamily properties out of their home state all the time... no lender has ever questioned it to me. 

Why do you not want to talk to a mortgage broker?  Any commercial mortgage broker will have easy access to help you find what you are looking for and often at better costs and with more ease.

Sounds to me like you are asking the wrong lenders or looking in the wrong places.  Brokers are a great resource to help folks out who are having trouble such as what you are now.

Cheers!

@Nick Belsky Maybe we can work together :) 

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 24 2022, 15:21
Quote from @Young Ho Yoo:

There are 2 ways to go.

Bridge Financing
Usually used for value add properties with under market rent. This gives you the opportunity to acquire the property and get it into a shape where you can get permanent financing. You can also get your rehab financed through this.

Permanent Financing
There are plenty of commercial lenders that will finance the deal out of state but often times they want at least $500k in loan amount. Rate can be comparable to FNMA permanent financing. Main thing is the property occupancy and debt service coverage ratio often time needing 1.2-1.25. The most important thing in purchasing a multi family deal is the property itself along with your personal financials. Personal income not so much. I'm in Cali but we've financed FL, TX, OH no problem.

@Young Ho Yoo thank you for this information. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 25 2022, 05:01

Have you tried a commercial mortgage broker ? I got pre-approval quickly.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan O'Mara
  • Financial Advisor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 08:36

@Diva Rescia - a good broker can find options for you.  Besides the usual things the lender will want to see, they will also want to see that you are an experienced investor and that you have a property management company set up for the property.

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 26 2022, 12:09
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

Have you tried a commercial mortgage broker ? I got pre-approval quickly.

@Carlos Ptriawan I will check that out thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Jun 26 2022, 12:13
Quote from @Ryan O'Mara:

@Diva Rescia - a good broker can find options for you.  Besides the usual things the lender will want to see, they will also want to see that you are an experienced investor and that you have a property management company set up for the property.

@Ryan O'Mara perfect thanks for sharing this !

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 27 2022, 04:44

@Diva Rescia appears you are only speaking with residential lenders. Try commercial lenders.

Level Up Capital, Lynk Capital, Lima One Capital, etc

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Aug 20 2022, 10:45

@Diva Rescia
A lot of Commercial lenders I know in Columbus OH will not lend to out-of-state clients. We have found some that will if they can see you already own a small multi-family in that market and that you have operational experience owning Multi-family. As for the comment on online lenders, I would stay away from using out-of-state lenders or online lenders to buy anything let alone 5+ units. The reasoning being they don't know that market and they always have problems. For example 35 days into a 55-day contract, an out-of-state lender still couldn't order an appraisal. We switched lenders and a commercial guy I work with a lot here in Columbus had the appraisal ordered in 5 days and back to us in a week. As well as a lot of out-of-state lenders flagging stuff like a small amount of water in a basement. Most local lenders will look at it and it won't be a problem. 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Aug 20 2022, 15:33
Quote from @Patrick Drury:

@Diva Rescia
A lot of Commercial lenders I know in Columbus OH will not lend to out-of-state clients. We have found some that will if they can see you already own a small multi-family in that market and that you have operational experience owning Multi-family. As for the comment on online lenders, I would stay away from using out-of-state lenders or online lenders to buy anything let alone 5+ units. The reasoning being they don't know that market and they always have problems. For example 35 days into a 55-day contract, an out-of-state lender still couldn't order an appraisal. We switched lenders and a commercial guy I work with a lot here in Columbus had the appraisal ordered in 5 days and back to us in a week. As well as a lot of out-of-state lenders flagging stuff like a small amount of water in a basement. Most local lenders will look at it and it won't be a problem. 

@Patrick Drury  thank you very much for this helpful information !!!

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 21 2022, 10:43
Quote from @Diva Rescia:

I am looking to purchase a 20  unit deal out of state. I currently live in CA, but looking to invest in a different state. Other than speaking with a mortgage broker, almost all the local lenders (commercial) mentioned they would have a hard time providing me with a loan of this type to an out of state investor. Most only offered me a loan for 1-4 units. 

I do not understand how other folks on Bigger pockets mention they purchase MF deals in different states. 

Any suggestions.

I can recommend some commercial lenders to you that will lend to you in Ohio as an out of state investor

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dhanasekaran Ranganathan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mountain House, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mountain House, CA
Replied Aug 22 2022, 12:25

Yes, i faced a similar situation. Most local banks/ credit unions do not lend to out of state buyers, due to their rules about buyer's residency. 

If you are investing in NC, i have a lender reference that can work for your situation. Stating the obvious, Mortgage Brokers will have additional fees in terms of origination points compared to direct bank lenders.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 22 2022, 12:33

@Diva Rescia Which state are you buying a 20 unit in?

Reafco - Columbus, OH  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Diva Rescia
  • Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • California
Replied Aug 22 2022, 13:46

@Scott Allen ohio, texas, florida, nevada, arizona, tenesse,