• Rental Property Investor
  • St. Augustine
Votes |
Developing a triplex in Tallahassee, Florida

Louis Porter Jr.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Augustine
Posted Jun 29 2022, 05:16

I am in the process of purchasing a parcel of land that I will be able to build a triplex on in Tallahassee, Florida. While I normally focus on buy and hold with tenants in place, this will be my first attempt in doing real estate development. I am really trying to understand this process better and learn exactly on how much I don't really know about doing this. Any help on these topics and pointing me in the right direction would be very helpful. I would even be interested in speaking with developers in Tallahassee, Florida who might be looking to partner up with to build this potential triplex. 

Thank you to everyone you reaches out about this topic.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Conner
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Replied Jun 30 2022, 08:37

Hey Louis, Permitting is awful in tally. I would suggest calling the building department at the County or City depending on where the lot is and ask to talk to a permit coordinator and get them to explain what is needed to permit and build a property. We have some zoning that is lake protection where you can't build unless you have a 2 acre lot. Also be sure to check if is sewer is available bc you will have to install a septic system if not which is more expensive compared to sewer. Second issue is a lot of subcontractors will give you high prices and poor schedules, most of the time it's easier to have a general contractor to deal with the subs since they usually already have a relationship and provide better work/schedules for GCs.