Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Larry Fullard
Votes |
FORMING PARTNERSHIPS TO BUY REALESTATE

Larry Fullard
Posted Jul 5 2022, 14:16

Hello! As RE grows I'm wanting to do joint venture deals with friends and other like minded investors, can anyone list a structure or "book" that can be helpful on how to buy RE with other people involved. Ex. I have a friend who has seen me purchase RE and wants to team up on the next multifamily buy and hold purchase, he willing to put up about 70-100k, how should we structure the contract, do we both need individual LLCs or form a joint LLC, how do commercial lawyers play a part etc. Any books personal thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Olson
  • Investor
  • Holmdel, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Holmdel, NJ
Replied Jul 5 2022, 14:29

I just got done reading Raising Private Capital by Matt Faircloth. I have the same interests as you to look into structuring OPM. I would suggest you read it to get a better understanding on private equity and different types of loans to help you. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jul 5 2022, 14:33

@Larry Fullard
Go over roles and responsibilities before buying anything with a partner. One of the biggest problems in partnerships I think is that a lot of people don't clearly define the roles and responsibilities of each partner prior and it leads to misunderstandings or things not getting done. 

Reafco- Logo
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Cervoni
  • Accountant
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Jul 5 2022, 14:46

If your partner wants to own equity (they are not just lending you the 70-100k) then usually the entity structure is a partnership LLC. You will definitely want a solid operating agreement and a plan for bookkeeping & taxes.

Considering the amount of the investment, I think it would also be smart to use a lawyer and CPA on the front end.