• Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, AR
Votes |
Buy land and develop multi-family?

Tim McKelvy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, AR
Posted Jul 25 2022, 20:20

What are your thoughts on finding land and developing/building multi-family units? Depending on price of land seems it could potentially be a good investment depending on builder etc. For reference our area (NW Arkansas) rents are anywhere from $1000-$2000 on average but there are outliers in both directions. We are also home to 3 fortune 500 companies JB Hunt, Tyson Foods, and the king: Wal-Mart. We have 25 families moving here every day, we need more multi-family options. Anyone done anything similar?

User Stats

Votes
Arn Cenedella
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jul 26 2022, 03:59

@Tim McKelvy

I am considering building MF in Greenville SC, also.

Development is not for the faint of heart especially with debt markets all over the place.

Ballpark, figure it will cost $150K to $175K to build a new apartment unit including land soft costs infrastructure debt service etc etc etc.

No way to answer your question in a vacuum. 

You need a specific property and a specific market study - and a plan - to determine fair market rent for the units you build.

They better rent for close to $2000 or more or new construction won’t make sense.

Unless one is an experienced developer, this doesn’t strike me as the time to build.

That being said, if you can find a smaller project to build, you might proceed. It may not go as you wish and you may be wounded but you will live to fight another day. 😀

The costs to develop raw land are high and if you haven’t done it before, the costs may blow you away.

So be cautious.

Are you building to sell or building to hold long term?

If long term hold, then you have a greater chance of success and don’t have to worry about specific market timing.

Good luck….

User Stats

Votes
Tim McKelvy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, AR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, AR
Replied Jul 26 2022, 09:01

Thanks for the input.  Would likely not be a massive project, duplex minimum and 4 plex maximum.  More than likely be buy and hold, even as we continually have people moving to our market, new construction does scare me a little. Worried it will turn into a money pit!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 1 2022, 10:47

@Tim McKelvy

Bad idea, Tim. Think about all the time that would be wasted in such scenario. Notwithstanding the money that you'll get out of the circulation, for that amount of time.

Just look at deals under price, and get them to get cashflow from day one.

Developing have too many moving parts.

Highly not recommend it!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 1 2022, 10:49

@Tim McKelvy

Just buy ready. That way you know exatly what you'll pay.

User Stats

Votes
Tim McKelvy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, AR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, AR
Replied Aug 1 2022, 12:30
Quote from @Amin Akhmadi:

@Tim McKelvy

Bad idea, Tim. Think about all the time that would be wasted in such scenario. Notwithstanding the money that you'll get out of the circulation, for that amount of time.

Just look at deals under price, and get them to get cashflow from day one.

Developing have too many moving parts.

Highly not recommend it!

Great thanks for the insight!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 1 2022, 18:33
Quote from @Tim McKelvy:

What are your thoughts on finding land and developing/building multi-family units? Depending on price of land seems it could potentially be a good investment depending on builder etc. For reference our area (NW Arkansas) rents are anywhere from $1000-$2000 on average but there are outliers in both directions. We are also home to 3 fortune 500 companies JB Hunt, Tyson Foods, and the king: Wal-Mart. We have 25 families moving here every day, we need more multi-family options. Anyone done anything similar?

Hello Tim, I was a first time developer and the cost to get entitlements and shovel ready was just under $700,000 (I was developing over 2acres.) There are so many moving parts you feel you are always paying for something you have to have in order to get to the next hurdle.

My advice partner with someone. I did by myself, and had never done it before. I wouldn't recommend it.