• Investor
  • United States
Votes |
NYC rent stabilization Supreme Court challenge

Sean Bramble
  • Investor
  • United States
Posted Jul 26 2022, 10:45

Hey everyone - was just listening to Chris Powers’ podcast “The Fort” and heard that a challenge to NYC’s rent stabilization regulations is making its way through the courts and will likely end up in the Supreme Court this year … any of you familiar w/ this? Are all rent stabilized tenants in the city at risk of losing rent controls? Where can I go to learn more?

Just looking for facts on the issue and what will likely happen as a result of these lawsuits … I know most of us on here hate these sorts of regulations so no need to preach to the choir 😉

User Stats

Votes
Sean Bramble
  • Investor
  • United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • United States
Replied Jul 26 2022, 11:36

Update: found this surfing the web: https://therealdeal.com/2022/0...

User Stats

Votes
Todd Olson
  • Investor
  • Holmdel, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Holmdel, NJ
Replied Jul 26 2022, 11:54

I guess you could make an argument for both sides- tenant/landlord. Obviously on BP we are all against rent control for many reasons however it does have its place for certain tenants and I can understand it. As an investor I stay far away from Blue states and their tenant friendly laws. Without knowing all the details of the case, the Supreme Court must understand that as landlords we have many expenses that are not controlled like insurance and taxes so it does not benefit us to cap rents. Just my opinion. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes