Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jason Foxx
Votes |
Creative Multifamily Strategies for Other Income

Jason Foxx
Posted Jul 29 2022, 10:33

What are some creative ways to get Additional Other Income from a high end multi family building? I may be running an 80+ unit in the near future.

Laundry is included in each unit. Ways that we already implement are storage, parking, certain fees, etc. 

I was thinking of possibly offering a unit cleaning service for interested tenants as a way to create additional income and cover the cost of common space cleaning. Vending machines and dry cleaning are other thoughts that came to mind.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks,

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 29 2022, 10:58

Trash removal from front door to dumpster for a monthly fee (unless you have chutes.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jul 29 2022, 11:03

@Jason Foxx

Here are ways you can increase non-rental income in a multifamily property.

Vending

Vending machines are another low-cost way to provide an added benefit to multifamily residents. The size of the benefit is often directly proportional to the demand for the products that can be purchased through the vending machines, and we like to consult residents on their preferences. In many cases, they could be snacks and soft drinks. In other cases, they could be household basics like soap, toothpaste or shampoo.

Storage

If there is unused space in a basement or parking lot of the property, converting it to paid storage provides both a valuable service to residents and a potential way to generate a steady stream of non-rental income. Converting space into storage units has a higher upfront cost, but they are very scalable and the demand for them can be high. Once the upfront cost is recovered, the income goes directly to the bottom line.

Event-Based Fees

While most of us are opposed to new fees, it can make sense to implement a fee system that is triggered by certain events. Examples of event-based fees include application fees, move-in fees and late payment fees.

These types of fees are only incurred by tenants based on certain events so they do not constitute higher rents, but they can provide an ancillary income stream that increases NOI.

Ancillary Rent

Under certain situations, it is common for multifamily real estate owners to charge ancillary rent. This is particularly common in two situations: pets and parking.

With regard to animals, pet rent is usually charged based on the size and/or weight of the animal. Fair market rent for a pet can range from $25 to $100 per month, per animal.

In dense, urban markets (like New York) where there is high demand for parking and limited supply, it is common for multifamily lease agreements to charge monthly rent for parking on a per unit, per month basis.

Cable And Internet

For larger properties, there are certain cable and internet providers that may be willing to provide a hefty payment in exchange for the exclusive rights to offer their services in the community.

The cable and internet bills are separate from rent payments so residents have the option to purchase these services (or not) and the property owner has the potential to collect a significant upfront payment in addition to recurring monthly revenue.

Bike Storage

For multifamily rental housing that is located in urban areas and/or bike-friendly cities, there may be strong demand for onsite bike storage. If this is the case, it could be a good idea to create a secured area that is dedicated to safely storing resident bicycles. Of course, residents who wish to store their bicycles will be charged a nominal fee for this service. In most cases, it is added to the tenant's rent (as a separate charge) to make it easy and convenient to pay.

Referrals

Multifamily tenants — especially new ones — have a near-constant need for services. To assist them, it can be a good idea for property managers/owners to connect with local companies that are willing to pay a commission for a successful referral.

For example, a property owner could partner with a moving company whereby they refer customers in exchange for a small commission on each sale. As a best practice, tenants should be provided with written notice of this arrangement to ensure they are aware of it and not being charged above-market rates.

All the best!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Garrett White
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jul 30 2022, 07:57
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Jason Foxx

Here are ways you can increase non-rental income in a multifamily property.

Vending

Vending machines are another low-cost way to provide an added benefit to multifamily residents. The size of the benefit is often directly proportional to the demand for the products that can be purchased through the vending machines, and we like to consult residents on their preferences. In many cases, they could be snacks and soft drinks. In other cases, they could be household basics like soap, toothpaste or shampoo.

Storage

If there is unused space in a basement or parking lot of the property, converting it to paid storage provides both a valuable service to residents and a potential way to generate a steady stream of non-rental income. Converting space into storage units has a higher upfront cost, but they are very scalable and the demand for them can be high. Once the upfront cost is recovered, the income goes directly to the bottom line.

Event-Based Fees

While most of us are opposed to new fees, it can make sense to implement a fee system that is triggered by certain events. Examples of event-based fees include application fees, move-in fees and late payment fees.

These types of fees are only incurred by tenants based on certain events so they do not constitute higher rents, but they can provide an ancillary income stream that increases NOI.

Ancillary Rent

Under certain situations, it is common for multifamily real estate owners to charge ancillary rent. This is particularly common in two situations: pets and parking.

With regard to animals, pet rent is usually charged based on the size and/or weight of the animal. Fair market rent for a pet can range from $25 to $100 per month, per animal.

In dense, urban markets (like New York) where there is high demand for parking and limited supply, it is common for multifamily lease agreements to charge monthly rent for parking on a per unit, per month basis.

Cable And Internet

For larger properties, there are certain cable and internet providers that may be willing to provide a hefty payment in exchange for the exclusive rights to offer their services in the community.

The cable and internet bills are separate from rent payments so residents have the option to purchase these services (or not) and the property owner has the potential to collect a significant upfront payment in addition to recurring monthly revenue.

Bike Storage

For multifamily rental housing that is located in urban areas and/or bike-friendly cities, there may be strong demand for onsite bike storage. If this is the case, it could be a good idea to create a secured area that is dedicated to safely storing resident bicycles. Of course, residents who wish to store their bicycles will be charged a nominal fee for this service. In most cases, it is added to the tenant's rent (as a separate charge) to make it easy and convenient to pay.

Referrals

Multifamily tenants — especially new ones — have a near-constant need for services. To assist them, it can be a good idea for property managers/owners to connect with local companies that are willing to pay a commission for a successful referral.

For example, a property owner could partner with a moving company whereby they refer customers in exchange for a small commission on each sale. As a best practice, tenants should be provided with written notice of this arrangement to ensure they are aware of it and not being charged above-market rates.

All the best!

Great information! Just got under contract for a 50 unit project and I'm looking forward to utilizing some of these strategies! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 30 2022, 08:13
Quote from @Jason Foxx:

What are some creative ways to get Additional Other Income from a high end multi family building? I may be running an 80+ unit in the near future.

Laundry is included in each unit. Ways that we already implement are storage, parking, certain fees, etc. 

I was thinking of possibly offering a unit cleaning service for interested tenants as a way to create additional income and cover the cost of common space cleaning. Vending machines and dry cleaning are other thoughts that came to mind.

Thanks,

Ones mentioned below are great:
Some others are:

Amazon locker / postage service

dog walking service

have someone come in and do cooking demonstrations / yoga classes / fitness classes

User Stats

Votes
Josh Oaten
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jul 31 2022, 18:48
Quote from @Jason Foxx:

Thanks,

Most have been mentioned.
Best ones are:
- Valet Trash
- Package Lockers
- Vending Machine (so long as it is not outside or accessible to outsiders. This can be a draw card for unwanted guests if not placed correctly)
- RUBs utility bill back, but I’m assuming this is already in place
- Internet/ Cable package that residents must use
- Renters insurance is another that you can make as a requirement for residents, similar to the internet/cable package.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Foxx
Votes |
Replied Aug 1 2022, 06:29

These are all awesome ideas! Thank you all

User Stats

Votes
Hoi L.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chadds Ford, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chadds Ford, PA
Replied Aug 1 2022, 06:54
Quote from @Josh Oaten:
Quote from @Jason Foxx:

Thanks,

Best ones are:
- Valet Trash
- Package Lockers
- Vending Machine (so long as it is not outside or accessible to outsiders. This can be a draw card for unwanted guests if not placed correctly)
- Renters insurance is another that you can make as a requirement for residents, similar to the internet/cable package.

@Josh Oaten How does "renters insurance" provide an extra income stream for us, the landlords?  Charge them a separate fee for our already in place commercial property insurance?  I require the tenants to obtain their own insurance, but I think they tend to ignore or "glance over" that particular aspect of the lease.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Josh Oaten
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 1 2022, 08:59
Quote from @Hoi L.:
Quote from @Josh Oaten:
Quote from @Jason Foxx:

Thanks,

Best ones are:
- Valet Trash
- Package Lockers

@Josh Oaten How does "renters insurance" provide an extra income stream for us, the landlords?  Charge them a separate fee for our already in place commercial property insurance?  I require the tenants to obtain their own insurance, but I think they tend to ignore or "glance over" that particular aspect of the lease.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Hoi,

You as the owner, would source a renters insurance company that would give you a bulk discount of say $6/unit/month. You would then require residents to use the renters insurance provided by the community for a price of $10/month. The residents are then getting an affordable monthly renters insurance rate, your management team or yourself have everything in-house and in this instance you a profiting $4/unit/month.

User Stats

Votes
Hoi L.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chadds Ford, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chadds Ford, PA
Replied Aug 2 2022, 04:55

got it, thanks for the info

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 2 2022, 21:30

Great ideas already shared.  A few others I can think of-

1. If pets are allowed, a dog walker (you could incentivize your staff to do this for extra $$ split it with them)

2. Convert a lower level unit to a gym/workout space

3. Healthier vending choices (higher profit on these)