Votes
Judy Coutts
  • Altoona, PA
Votes |
Magic Pak Experience

Judy Coutts
  • Altoona, PA
Posted Aug 2 2022, 07:49

I'm developing a new 3 story 12-unit apt house.

Who here has experience with the Magic Pak approach to the HVAC for the units? 

I'd appreciate feedback regarding HVAC comfort, noise, reliability, maintenance, along with any best practices/advice.

Thanks for your input.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Dingus
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Aug 3 2022, 19:45

Hey Judy - I'd take this question to the Pittsburgh Real Estate Investors Facebook group. You're more likely to get an answer, I think. Just make sure you vet the repliers :) 

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Mahon
  • Contractor
  • Biscay, MN
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Biscay, MN
Replied Aug 6 2022, 07:33

Hello Judy, 

I work with apartments all the time tht have Magic Pak in them all the time. Every unit we build has them in them. Do you have a style that you want to use? 

They are a great way to save costs. There are some things to consider: 

1. location. Are they going to be in the unit in a closet? or on the outside stacked with decks? 

2. Noise is going to be a issue if the tenants are not used to in the unit pac. Are these units for sale condos? then for sure you will get some rumbling. So for the noise add around the door a gasket and sweeps.

3. Condinsate lines for all the AC. Alos there is a high efficency furnace model that will need a condensation line during the winter months you will need to figure out. You will need to stack them and have them run to a drain. Check your code. 

4. Returns, Do you have a enough room in the unit for them? Can you have fresh air supplied. Keeps the condinsation in the unit (Windows frosting) to a minnium. 

5. Vents- have the supply vents wash the windows in the units to keep them from frosting. 

We use these all the time. We build about 2000 units a year in the Minneapolis & St Paul area. The New Thing is PTAC in units. Check them out. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes