• Destin, FL
Votes |
Birmingham (Center Point)

John Rutherford
  • Investor
  • Destin, FL
Posted Aug 3 2022, 16:34

Hello!

I am looking at moving into the Birmingham area but am first getting an understanding of the area. From what I have heard and seen is that south of downtown is the nicer A type neighborhoods. Areas around downtown are variable between B- and D. But the main area I am trying to figure out is Center Point. I have read some old forum posts from 2-4 years ago about how it has lots of crime and shootings. I even tried calling the Jefferson County PD but have not got a response yet. If there are any investors in the Birmingham area, I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on Center Point. 

Best,

John

User Stats

Votes
Addison Watson
  • Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Aug 4 2022, 07:29

It's getting better as the city pushes east, but it really depends which side of Hwy 75 you are evaluating. Trussville (to the east) has newer developments that are making areas around Centerpoint nicer. To the west of 75, you've got the folks that couldn't afford post-gentrification being pushed into Centerpoint. It's not an absolute, but those are generally the dynamics you are looking at. 

It is certainly not the "worst" part of Birmingham—that is reserved for the area west of the city. Still looking at D+ or C- likely in Centerpoint.

User Stats

Votes
John Rutherford
  • Investor
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Destin, FL
Replied Aug 4 2022, 22:28

@Addison Watson thank you for the inputs. Sounds like it is going in the right direction but still has a couple years to go.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Hartlen
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 5 2022, 06:41

A little off topic but we avoid Centerpoint from an investment perspective as the word on the street is that they are a PITA to deal with from a permit, inspection and fee perspective.  

User Stats

Votes
John Rutherford
  • Investor
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Destin, FL
Replied Aug 5 2022, 07:43

That was something else I heard is that the city is very difficult to deal with. Everything I have heard is unconfirmed rumors but your post is another data point that says something about the city is not as easy or friendly towards investors. 

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Terryn
Pro Member
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Aug 11 2022, 08:46

A few notes from my experience in Center Point:

-They had/have a requirement for separate business licenses (owners, PMs, and contractors), making it harder to start work in Center Point.

-They did/do annual inspections (similar to Section 8), where they pick apart maintenance and usually come up with additional fixes.

-Very hardcore about permitting. If they drive past a worksite they'll stop in and ensure the permits are in place. 

-Have heard horror stories of the city requiring that multiple points in the home be brought up to code, even if you are only working on one. Ex: HVAC replacement during rehab/reno, they then require plumbing and roof and other stuff to be brought to new code. 

**All this to say that there was a class action lawsuit (by owners and PMs) initiated sometime late last year that I believe is still in process. I do know that the initial result was a restraining order on the inspections and requirement for business licenses. Not sure if that's changed by now, but at least for some time they could not require those. 

Just like many areas in Jefferson County, it's a street-by-street neighborhood. I'd say the majority of it is fine, but definitely want to drive the streets surrounding your target property to get that true feel. 

Evernest Logo