Votes
Eugene Pickett
Pro Member
Votes |
New Small Multi-Family Construction

Eugene Pickett
Pro Member
Posted Dec 8 2022, 19:47

Hello Everyone, I am going to build my first small multi-family (duplex). What the things should I watch out for the build. I would love to here from you guys.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lara
  • Contractor
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Texas
Replied Dec 8 2022, 20:16

Fire partition walls separating the spaces. Typically go from slab to under side of roof deck, a continuous fire proof layer like sheetrock or densglass on both sides of wall. 

User Stats

Votes
Angela W.
  • Attorney
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 8 2022, 21:14

If you're talking law - permit requirements and issues, get a survey if you haven't already. Call the city ensure you're in compliance (assuming you haven't already). Are you building it yourself or hiring a contractor? If it's a qualified builder, he should know the steps I mentioned.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eugene Pickett
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 9 2022, 12:02
Quote from @Jeff Lara:

Fire partition walls separating the spaces. Typically go from slab to under side of roof deck, a continuous fire proof layer like sheetrock or densglass on both sides of wall. 

Thanks. Your feedback is much appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Eugene Pickett
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 9 2022, 12:02
Quote from @Angela W.:

If you're talking law - permit requirements and issues, get a survey if you haven't already. Call the city ensure you're in compliance (assuming you haven't already). Are you building it yourself or hiring a contractor? If it's a qualified builder, he should know the steps I mentioned.

Thanks. Your feedback is much appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Hoban
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 21:39

Have you found a construction company with a good reputation yet? I’m in Houston too and looking to build a small multi family.

User Stats

Votes
Eugene Pickett
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 10 2022, 13:07

I went to HomeAdvisor and quite a few came up. I have a meeting with them next week. I'll let you know the outcome.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Chirico
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 10 2022, 17:30

Good luck at that meeting! If you could share the builders price per SF to build in that area that would be helpful! I am currently in the pre-approval stage of building a 7 unit apartment building in arvada colorado. I'm sure prices will vary but would hurt to understand the numbers your seeing! I will do the same 

User Stats

Votes
Eugene Pickett
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 10 2022, 21:07
Quote from @Austin Chirico:

Good luck at that meeting! If you could share the builders price per SF to build in that area that would be helpful! I am currently in the pre-approval stage of building a 7 unit apartment building in arvada colorado. I'm sure prices will vary but would hurt to understand the numbers your seeing! I will do the same 

Will do.

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Magee
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Spring, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Spring, TX
Replied Dec 29 2022, 11:03

@Eugene Pickett

Hi, Eugene.

I'm interested in multi-family investing also.  Where you able to get any builders price per SF to build.  If so, would you please share with the group?

Regards,

Isaac

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 29 2022, 22:52

I'd recommend you yourself personally have meetings with the County to confirm you're able to build what you want to (not just a contractor). I have a multi-family project (in Hawaii) as well, and mine is maybe more complex than yours, but no substitute for making sure you don't have last minute surprises later in the process. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 4 2023, 09:28

Hi all- any luck on estimated new build cost per square foot in the Houston market?

User Stats

Votes
Lee Hampton
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 4 2023, 11:07

@Megan Foucher @Eugene Pickett

This only applies to Houston based folks. A few things to consider: you have to meet the density ordinance of COH, you need a lot > 3400sq ft lot for a new duplex. You will need space to park four cars, though they can be tandem. You need to ensure there are no HOA or other deed restrictions preventing a duplex from being built. The number of areas that allow duplexes in Houston is shrinking each year. It's impossible to give an intelligent cost/sf figure with limited data and specs but low end $120/sq ft, mid-range $135/sq ft.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.