• Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
Multifamily investment in New Jersey

Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Posted Mar 9 2023, 06:50

Gave an offer 90K above asking and still our offer was not accepted ? Am I missing something here.

Loan type: we gave both FHA and conv.

User Stats

Votes
Damian Smith
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Marlton, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Marlton, NJ
Replied Mar 9 2023, 06:54

did you waive inspections. Does your agent have the relationship with listing broker.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Rockaway, NJ
Votes |
  • Rockaway, NJ
Replied Mar 9 2023, 06:57

NJ is ****ing crazy right now. If they said no, you didn't have the strongest offer. You can offer more money next time, waive inspections, etc. "Above asking" is irrelevant when every offer is above asking and some people are listing their property below expected sales price to drive more traffic.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Vineis
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • north jersey
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • north jersey
Replied Mar 9 2023, 08:05

Hey @Joval Mathai Thats a really good offer. But just because an offer is the highest doesn't mean it strongest. There are a lot of things that you can do to make an offer stronger but with out knowing the situation I would guess this is what happened. The listing agent referenced her comps and saw that your offer was lets say $70,000 over what she thinks it would appraise for. In this scenario if someone offered $30,000 over asking with a $10,000 appraisal gap that offer would net the seller more money and be a stronger offer. Its really important to know why the seller is selling the property. If they are just selling to get top dollar they might be more willing to gamble and hope it appraises for higher and they are ok with having to go back on market. If they have a time line Then a lower offer that is more secured and has less chances of falling apart would be more enticing. Hope this helped!

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 9 2023, 09:56
Quote from @Damian Smith:

did you waive inspections. Does your agent have the relationship with listing broker.

NO we didn't waive inspection. Nope.

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 9 2023, 09:58
Quote from @Andrew B.:

NJ is ****ing crazy right now. If they said no, you didn't have the strongest offer. You can offer more money next time, waive inspections, etc. "Above asking" is irrelevant when every offer is above asking and some people are listing their property below expected sales price to drive more traffic.

Yes this is exactly happening now in NJ. Looking to figure out ways to give a strong offer.

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 9 2023, 09:59
Quote from @Daniel Vineis:

Hey @Joval Mathai Thats a really good offer. But just because an offer is the highest doesn't mean it strongest. There are a lot of things that you can do to make an offer stronger but with out knowing the situation I would guess this is what happened. The listing agent referenced her comps and saw that your offer was lets say $70,000 over what she thinks it would appraise for. In this scenario if someone offered $30,000 over asking with a $10,000 appraisal gap that offer would net the seller more money and be a stronger offer. Its really important to know why the seller is selling the property. If they are just selling to get top dollar they might be more willing to gamble and hope it appraises for higher and they are ok with having to go back on market. If they have a time line Then a lower offer that is more secured and has less chances of falling apart would be more enticing. Hope this helped!

Definitely makes sense David. Thank you for your insight. 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mcenteer
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Replied Mar 11 2023, 16:24

Asking price is a relative term.  If a home is worth 500k and listed at 400k, 100K over ask would makes a normal sale.  So much more goes into putting offers on multi family properties than just going over ask price.   I consistently win deals with lower offer amounts than what other realtors are offering simply becuase I bring a high equality reputation to every deal and when listing agent looks me up they see someone that has closed dozens of multi family properties last year alone. Most of the time listing agent will not push the higher price but the deal they are most confident will close.  Multi is not like ABC residential, for example is there are tenants in the property that is huge most seller will take offers that play into tenant terms.  I could go on for a while with hundreds of different scenarios what an offer should or should not included but its all based on the property itself. 

User Stats

Votes
Tim J.
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Replied Mar 11 2023, 18:01
CA$H offer is usually a pretty compelling option.

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 14 2023, 09:46
Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:

Asking price is a relative term.  If a home is worth 500k and listed at 400k, 100K over ask would makes a normal sale.  So much more goes into putting offers on multi family properties than just going over ask price.   I consistently win deals with lower offer amounts than what other realtors are offering simply becuase I bring a high equality reputation to every deal and when listing agent looks me up they see someone that has closed dozens of multi family properties last year alone. Most of the time listing agent will not push the higher price but the deal they are most confident will close.  Multi is not like ABC residential, for example is there are tenants in the property that is huge most seller will take offers that play into tenant terms.  I could go on for a while with hundreds of different scenarios what an offer should or should not included but its all based on the property itself. 

Thank you for your insight @Shawn Mcenteer

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 14 2023, 09:47
Quote from @Tim J.:
CA$H offer is usually a pretty compelling option.

That's true, in most cases.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Manafi
  • Realtor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • New Jersey
Replied Mar 15 2023, 09:52

Hi @Joval Mathai,

I know it can be easy to get discouraged when you make offers like that and still nothing is getting accepted, but keep your head up--the Northern NJ market is just very competitive and tough right now. 

As others have mentioned, price is not always everything--you have to take into account the whole package of terms that you are offering, and how attractive the combination of price + terms is to the Seller. These can be things like Closing Date, Contingencies, taking the property with or without tenants, amount of deposit, down payment amount, etc.

Having an agent that knows what they're doing is absolutely essential in a highly competitive market like we're in now.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Guzzardi Jr
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 19 2023, 00:58

@Joval Mathai it's likely the terms of the offer that is the missing link here. Could be anything from inspection waiver, to inspection window to closing date and much more. Price isn't always the most important thing to a seller.

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 20 2023, 05:00
Quote from @Kevin Manafi:

Hi @Joval Mathai,

I know it can be easy to get discouraged when you make offers like that and still nothing is getting accepted, but keep your head up--the Northern NJ market is just very competitive and tough right now. 

As others have mentioned, price is not always everything--you have to take into account the whole package of terms that you are offering, and how attractive the combination of price + terms is to the Seller. These can be things like Closing Date, Contingencies, taking the property with or without tenants, amount of deposit, down payment amount, etc.

Having an agent that knows what they're doing is absolutely essential in a highly competitive market like we're in now.

Thank you Kevin for those words. I am loving the journey, its an experience.

User Stats

Votes
Joval Mathai
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern Jersey
Replied Mar 20 2023, 05:00
Quote from @Joseph Guzzardi Jr:

@Joval Mathai it's likely the terms of the offer that is the missing link here. Could be anything from inspection waiver, to inspection window to closing date and much more. Price isn't always the most important thing to a seller.

Yes I would imagine. Thank you Joseph.