Votes
Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Considered 1 bedroom?

Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Posted Mar 18 2024, 15:05

I am sure this will ultimately be "ask your local appraiser" but I wanted to get thoughts here if you think this would count as a 1 bedroom. The plan is that the space between the sleeping area and another living area will have a closet with bi-fold doors. I just am trying to decide if I need a door and/or wall between the sleeping quarters and the living area to appraise as one bedroom. Also given this is in a 10-unit building does it matter, as the rent / NOI will be the primary driver for value?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 18 2024, 16:38

To qualify as a bedroom you'll need a closet, not sure if you have that somewhere. Also I believe you'll need a wall separating the actual bedroom otherwise it is considered a studio. Just my opinion as an architect, not a realtor or appraiser. 

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 18 2024, 18:11

Agreed on the closet, the space between the "sleeping space" and the "living space" would be a closet. I need to add the doors. The latter (do I need a wall) is what I'm trying to get opinions on. Thanks!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Halil C.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Ft Lauderdale
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Ft Lauderdale
Replied Mar 18 2024, 19:04
Quote from @Amy Kunkle:

To qualify as a bedroom you'll need a closet, not sure if you have that somewhere. Also I believe you'll need a wall separating the actual bedroom otherwise it is considered a studio. Just my opinion as an architect, not a realtor or appraiser. 

Does this apply to every state? 

Can we have tall furniture that functions as a closet if the room doesn't have a built in closet? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 19 2024, 05:15

Yes, you need a wall. Otherwise what you have is a studio apartment, or efficiency.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 19 2024, 07:31

Thanks, Amy, it's what I expected, but also unfortunate that is the case.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 19 2024, 07:45
Quote from @Halil C.:
Quote from @Amy Kunkle:

Does this apply to every state? 

Can we have tall furniture that functions as a closet if the room doesn't have a built in closet? 

Generally, yes. Every state that I've been in has a few basics

1. minimum sq footage for a bedroom, the room itself (usually 70 to 80 sq ft)
2. closet present in bedroom
3. a window in bedroom
4. not in basement, and if in basement, must have exit window of a certain size.
5. If an entry door is accessible via basement level at ground level, this is not considered a basement, however, the windows in the bedroom must be of "relatively consistent size" to above-ground windows.

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#2 Syndications & Passive Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Mar 19 2024, 08:44

@Jesse Edwards, I see this as a 1-bed.  Your bedroom has a sitting area.  Your common area is walled off and has a door (a pocket door in your case).  You have a window (assuming it is legal egress size and height).  You have a closet, as noted.  

As you note, each jurisdiction may have some nuanced rules.  I.e. my home office has a window and a closet.  Could fit a double bed.  But we had to submit plans with it labeled as an office, because my jurisdiction requires bedrooms to be 150 sq ft, and my office (due to moving a wall) is 135 sq ft.

More importantly, I think this layout would turn off a lot of people.  I am wondering if you will have an easier time renting a well laid out studio versus this very weird, borderline unusable one bedroom.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 19 2024, 09:32
Quote from @Evan Polaski:

More importantly, I think this layout would turn off a lot of people.  I am wondering if you will have an easier time renting a well laid out studio versus this very weird, borderline unusable one bedroom.

Good Points, and one I am wrestling with as well, especially if to qualify I have to add yet another wall, it just kills function to meet specs. 

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Mar 19 2024, 10:30

@Jesse Edwards, I was just thinking, based on your original post, you should be talking with the building department to understand if there are any nuances in your jurisdiction.  An appraiser will not likely know whether this counts as a studio or 1 bed.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rixer
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 19 2024, 10:54

Agreed with most of the above comments. I'll add it likely will make very little difference to the overall appraisal price given it's a 10-unit.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 19 2024, 16:29

Thanks everyone for the replies

User Stats

Votes
Jared W Smith
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Replied Mar 20 2024, 08:50

Just a note- closets is a matter of the real estate industry and that people prefer a closet in a bedroom. Speaking strictly architecturally, a bedroom is based solely on the room's/space's usage. In the Building Codes, that I know of in the Tri-State area, there's no mention of a closet required for a bedroom to be a considered a bedroom. I believe this is the case across most of US.

-Jared W. Smith, RA - Principal Architect at Architect Owl PLLC (Licensed in NY & CT)

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.